Next Training Session:
On August 14, 2021, NCACC President Frank Williams announced his presidential initiative, “100 Counties Prepared.” Drawing on his experience as Chair of the Brunswick County Board of Commissioners during Hurricanes Florence, Dorian, and Isaias, President Williams will incorporate several lessons learned as part of his initiative.
The effort focused on equipping county commissioners with the tools they need to lead effectively during emergency situations. The initiative aims to prepare county commissioners to provide residents with accurate and authoritative information about critical local response and recovery activities such as debris removal, road reopening, and more. 100 Counties Prepared also seeks to empower county commissioners to be a source of hope and reassurance for residents and dispel misinformation commonly found online when emergencies occur.
President Williams appointed Task Force Co-chairs Randy Thompson, Brunswick County Commissioner, and Kay Cashion, Guilford County Commissioner, to lead 100 Counties Prepared. The Task Force is charged with developing a training and education program and compiling emergency readiness resources for county commissioners. It will also focus on helping county commissioners engage with key emergency management partners to foster strategic relationships. 100 Counties Prepared encompasses the full spectrum of emergencies that can occur anywhere in the state, including mudslides, earthquakes, tornados, flooding, hurricane, and pandemic response.
100 Counties Prepared Task Force Members
- Frank Williams, Brunswick County Commissioner
- Tracey Johnson, NCACC Immediate Past President, Washington County Commissioner
- Kay Cashion, Task Force Co-Chair, Guilford County Commissioner
- Randy Thompson, Task Force Co-Chair, Brunswick County Commissioner
- Glenn Adams, Cumberland County Commissioner
- Kitty Barnes, Catawba County Commissioner
- Kevin Gordon, Cleveland County Commissioner
- Maria Cervania, Wake County Commissioner
- Hope Haywood, Randolph County Commissioner
- Ann Keyes, Washington County Commissioner
- Teresa McCall, Transylvania County Commissioner
- Linda Rouse Sutton, Lenoir County Commissioner
- Gordon Wilder, Vance County Commissioner
- Kris Noble, Hyde County Manager
- Marche Pittman, Polk County Manager
- Robin Caldwell, Cherokee County Emergency Services Director & President of the North Carolina Emergency Management Association
Adopted Resolutions in Support of 100 Counties Prepared
- Alexander County — Alexander County Preparedness Month 2023
- Davidson County — Resolution Declaring September 2023 as “Preparedness Month” in Davidson County
- Town of Belville — Resolution Declaring September 2023 as “Preparedness Month” in the Town of Belville
- Transylvania County — Resolution #34-2023 Declaring September 2023 as “Preparedness Month” in Transylvania County
- Village of Bald Head Island — Resolution Declaring September 2023 as “Preparedness Month” in Village of Bald Head Island
- Washington County — Resolution Declaring September 2023 as “Preparedness Month” in Washington County
Counties That Have Completed Trainings
Below is a map of counties that have completed the 100 Counties Prepared Training Course. A county with at least one county commissioner or county staff member that attended and completed a training is noted on this map. If you received a certificate but don’t see your county on this map, please email [email protected].