2020-2021 General Government Legislative Goals
GG-1: Seek legislation, funding, and other efforts to expand digital infrastructure/broadband capability to the unserved and under-served areas and residents of the state.
GG-2: Support increased state funding for existing and new transportation construction and maintenance needs, and support legislation to ensure that the Strategic Transportation Investments (STI) funding formula recognizes that one size does not fit all and that projects in both rural and urban areas are prioritized and funded.
GG-3: Support increased State funding for public libraries.
GG-4: Support legislation to grow North Carolina’s statewide economy through state investments, including public infrastructure funding, competitive incentives, and coordinated efforts with county economic development services.
GG-5: Support legislation to remove inequities and inconsistencies in the current state economic tier system.
GG-6: Seek legislation allowing public bodies to provide meeting notices by electronic means in addition to allowing notice through a newspaper with general circulation within the county.
GG-7: Support food supply chain initiatives and funding for North Carolina food banks as well as other equipment, supplies, and other nonrecurring expenses to reduce food insecurity.
GG-8: Support legislation providing equitable distribution of resources to all North Carolina counties to respond to public health and natural emergencies, and to allow each county flexibility in determining the best use for such resources.
GG-9: Support legislation allowing counties flexibility in holding remote board meetings, allowing contemporaneous, virtual public hearings, in order to expeditiously conduct county business during emergencies.
Presentations from April 2022 Steering Committee Meeting
- Economic and Workforce Development: Governing for Maximum Impact — NC Department of Commerce
View the steering committee meeting schedule
2021 NCACC County Map Book
NCACC General Government Committee Guiding Principles
- The Association recognizes the importance of the State-County partnership and its unique role in providing services to all citizens.
- The State should seek input from counties while developing rules and regulations that impact counties, particularly concerning property rights.
- Local general purpose governments are the building blocks for solving regional problems; regional approaches should be based on the need to strengthen and support local governments.
- Intergovernmental agreements should be used where appropriate to attain efficient performance, as determined by local elected officials.
- Encourage public-private partnerships when in the best interest of the citizens.
- Reserve federal action for those areas where state and local governments are not adequate and where continuing national involvement is necessary, e.g. national defense, provided resources are made available by the national government.
- All local government institutions should be engaged in developing and coordinating services to meet the needs of citizens. Counties will strive to maintain and enhance these partnerships.
New Hanover County
Steering Committee membership
Steering Committee membership is open to all county commissioners, as well as county staff who specialize in committee-related fields. If you would like to join a Steering Committee, please complete this sign-up form and join us for a meeting.