- County Research
About County Research
The North Carolina Center for County Research is the principal repository and source of data analysis for county-based information. The center collects and publishes primary survey data from North Carolina county governments and compiles county data information from secondary data sources.
County Budget and Tax
- Basics of North Carolina County Government - a white paper detailing the history, organization, and functions of county government in North Carolina.
- Basics of County Budgeting and Finance - a white paper on the process and components of the county's annual budget.
- Basics of Local Sales Taxes - a white paper on county levied sales taxes.
- Budget and Tax Survey - an annual survey of all 100 counties to capture county budget action including school appropriations
- Property Tax - annual property tax rates for all 100 counties
- County Budget Guidance - an annual resource for major county revenues and other information to help counties in their budgeting process
County Demographics and Data Indicators
- 2017 County Map Book - data visualizations for county-level data
- 2016 NC Counties: Between the Lines - a collection of county maps and data indicators
- 2015 County Snapshots - a visual presentation of important county indicators for 2015
- Basics of County Elections Equipment - a white paper detailing current county election equipment and the costs associated with changing to paper ballots.
- County Sales Tax Referenda - information and results of the local option sales tax referenda for the ¼ cent sales tax authorized in 2007, along with FAQs
- County Elections Methods - an annual survey of all 100 counties to capture how county commissioners are elected
- County Election Results - a listing of the county elections demographics and makeup of county boards of commissioners
County Funding for Public Schools
- NC State-County Public School Partnership - data and presentation from NCACC Annual Conference
- Basics of County Funding for Public Schools - a white paper detailing county and state funding responsibilities for public education
- Public School Fund Balances - audited school fund balances from 2014-15
County Research Pulse
The County Research Pulse is the blog for the Center for County Research. Visit The County Research Pulse to learn about research updates, survey results, and information helpful to counties. We will also highlight stories and ideas from our 100 counties.
Current Legislative Issues and Analysis
- Analysis of the 2016-17 State Budget
- 2016 Legislative Session Final Report
- Q&A on Local Sales Tax Distribution Plan provides analysis of S.L. 2015-241, the new local sales tax distribution plan for some local governments
- 2015 Local Sales Tax Changes Powerpoint provides an overview of the local sales tax changes made during the 2015 legislative session with county examples
- Backup PSAP Information includes a form to request Backup PSAP approval, and sample language to request an extension
Quick Response Teams (QRTs) were created to assist NCACC staff when highly technical issues arise that require the day-to-day working knowledge and insights that only county staff can provide. When legislation or potential regulations are introduced that may potentially impact county operations, NCACC will email a copy to the members of the relevant QRT for quick (often 24 hours or less) feedback on operational or financial impacts of the legislation and recommended modifications.
Quick Response Teams
NCACC is always looking for new QRT members, for more information and to volunteer please click here.