Budget and Management Services (BMS) is looking for a Budget Manager – an expert budgeteer who is ready to coordinate, coach and lead a cross-functional team of two-to-four staff. They include analysts and senior analysts, each of whom has blended operating and capital portfolios. This position is one of two Budget Managers who report to the Deputy Budget and Management Services Director.
We want more than just a number cruncher. We seek a leader who can collaborate with others to help build a $2.4 billion budget for our fast-growing County. A passion for public service is essential, and an ability to excel with Excel is required, too.
This position will work with analysts and departments to develop, evaluate, and analyze County operating and capital budgets; lead and serve on countywide special projects; and help effectively communicate information throughout the organization.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Evaluating countywide funding and program requests, developing alternatives and recommending prioritized options in collaboration with department staff
- Manipulating data and developing a command of the Financial, Budgeting and Human Resources ERP systems, as well as other systems
- Developing County-wide revenue and expenditure projections
- Monitoring budgets throughout the fiscal year and helping ensure funds are used in alignment with established goals, guidelines and strategies
- Providing consultation and analysis to the County Manager’s Office
- Helping departments achieve their goals and objectives by providing programmatic counsel and analytical support
- Serving on master planning, County-wide policy planning and RFP development committees, among others
- Working with the Budget and Communications Office teams to draft the annual budget message, materials for the Board of Commissioners and other strategic marketing collateral
Hiring Range: $80,841 - $113,173
Master’s degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, Business Administration or related. Equivalent education is accepted.
Five years of experience in financial, budgeting, management or policy analysis. Experience with capital and operating budgeting, supervision and evaluating resource requests for alignment with business planning and performance management is preferred. Work as a Budget or Management Analyst in a centralized local, state or federal government budget or finance department or City or County Manager’s Office is preferred.
How Will We Know You're 'The One'?
- Teamwork and Interpersonal Skills: actively participate as a team member to achieve goals with Budget and Management Services, Wake County government and external partners; build and maintain ongoing, collaborative relationships with others to achieve continuous incremental improvement toward shared outcomes.
- Customer Focus: assess options transparently and collaborate with candor with stakeholders; optimize solutions to balance resident, Board and County executive interests.
- Personal Accountability: ensure deliverables are completed on time and as communicated; monitor programs and activities independently and recognize when your work impacts others; manage routine activities with little supervision.
- Project Management: establish and carry out a timeline of tasks to accomplish an intended outcome and timeline; ensure actions are performed to achieve intended project results.
- Flexibility: agility in adapting to change; resilience and persistence to continue to adapt in a high-growth environment; adjust course when provided feedback or circumstances change; triage priorities when responding to multiple deadlines.
- Problem Solving: identify problems, determine appropriate and possible solutions, and actively work to resolve the issues.
- Communication: convey information clearly and concisely to various audiences - from large groups to individuals - both verbally and in writing, ensuring they understand the information and the message intent; listen actively and respectfully to confirm mutual understanding and respond appropriately; willingness to ask for assistance and clarification.