CHARMING SOUTHERN TOWN CLOSE TO CHARLOTTE METRO AREA SEEKS TOWN MANAGER
Consider the opportunity to lead a community where resident participation is encouraged, respect for Town history is embraced, and a strategic vision for economic vitality is underway. The Town of Harrisburg in Cabarrus County, NC (pop. approx. 18K)*, is seeking its next Town Manager. The successful candidate will work with a committed and talented staff as well as an engaged Council to help this charming Southern community leverage opportunities for economic development while implementing the Town’s strategic priorities and meeting community expectations.
The Town of Harrisburg was chartered in 1973. The Town Manager reports to the Mayor and a seven-person, non-partisan Council. The Town Manager and an Assistant Town Manager manage more than 100 FTE employees across 12 departments/divisions. The FY 22 general fund and capital budgets of $73.6M (general fund $21M) are supported by a low tax rate of $.355 per $100 of assessed tax value. More information about the recommended budget can be found here.
The next Harrisburg Town Manager will be a people/project savvy leader with a track record of community engagement. You can view a short video about Town services here and an archive of the quarterly newsletter here.
Key priorities for the next Town Manager are:
- ensuring effective Council-Manager relationships through respect for diverse views along with committed and assertive consensus-building;
- applying a team approach to staff leadership that supports staff to have passion about their work, meet high standards of performance, work together in a unified fashion and validate that human capital is one of the Town’s greatest assets;
- reviewing a recent police study and facilitating discussion with Council to determine if the Town needs to create its own department;
- oversight of a number of major infrastructure projects that are planned or underway while managing the tension of forecasted growth and infrastructure needs;
- facilitating business development and growth in order to strategically diversify the Town tax base; and,
- working with Council to identify strategic priorities that are tied to the Town’s 10-year financial plan for budget development and implementation plans.
The hiring range for this position has been established as $130,000-$160,000 with an Executive Package / Benefits and relocation assistance if needed. Offered salary will be commensurate with experience. Residency within Town limits is required within a negotiated timeframe. Outstanding local government benefits include a 4% match for employees in either 401K or 457 plans, NCLGERS enrollment, paid medical, flexible spending account, dental, vision, long and short-term disability insurance; life and AD&D insurance, paid employee and parental leave, tuition assistance, EAP, and a wellness program, among other benefits.
Minimum education is a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; however, a Master of Public Administration or equivalent graduate degree is strongly preferred. The successful candidate has seven or more years of progressive management experience in a senior management capacity within a small to midsized municipal government organization.
The successful candidate:
- is strategic and innovative regarding areas for growth, new development and redevelopment while balancing strengths in economic development for retail, industry, small business, start-up, and other desirable opportunities;
- is adept at constructively advising and providing guidance to Town Council in helping them achieve their vision and priorities;
- has a proven track record in inspiring, motivating, and empowering key staff and department heads to achieve established goals;
- is a creative thinker in assessing ways to increase revenue and manage expenses and is competent in executing current CIP and debt commitments while finding creative ways to increase revenue, manage expenses and leverage existing funds for new and necessary initiatives that may arise;
- is a responsive, detailed, and deadline-oriented professional who continuously monitors and initiates process improvement in a service-driven organization;
- has a track record of facilitating partnerships with a wide variety of public and private sector stakeholders;
- demonstrates a history of innovative municipal management and is knowledgeable of principles and practices of public administration to include planning; administration and supervision; and preparing and implementing proposals which affect the operations of Town government;
- possesses executive-level skills in interpersonal and written communications, strategic planning, finance and budget development, critical thinking, administration, and intergovernmental relations
- enjoys engaging with and being the face of the community and is competent in telling its story, advocating for opportunities, and marketing strengths; and,
- values accountability and holds high expectations of self and others while also being an effective and respected leader.
To apply, go to https://agency.governmentjobs.com/developmentalassociates/default.cfm and click on the Town Manager – Harrisburg link. To learn more about the selection process, visit Client Openings (or copy and paste into your browser: https://developmentalassociates.com/client-openings/). All applications must be fully completed and submitted online via the Developmental Associates application portal – NOT the Town portal, nor any other external website; it is not sufficient to send only a resume. Resumes and cover letters can be uploaded with the application. Applicants should apply by July 25, 2021. Application review begins July 27, 2021. Finalists will participate in virtual skills assessments interviews and skill assessments on September 9-10, 2021. Applicants are encouraged to hold these dates should they be invited to participate. All inquiries should be emailed to [email protected]. Harrisburg, NC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Developmental Associates, LLC is managing the recruitment and selection process for this position.