The Town of Nags Head in Dare County, NC is seeking a leader with impeccable integrity, outstanding leadership skills, and a track record of being a visionary consensus builder to be their next Town Manager. With the ability to develop and inspire a high functioning employee team grounded in trust and transparency, the successful candidate will have extensive experience in collaborating with staff, community, regional partners, and the Town Board of Commissioners. This highly skilled and motivated leader will proactively deal with a range of tasks and challenges, with an emphasis on outstanding interpersonal engagement, excellent fiscal management, and collaborative project-management skills. The Town Manager must have the ability to relate well in the community, establish relationships, and partner with an engaged Board of Commissioners to carry out the strategic priorities of the Town. *The position has been reopened after a prior candidate was appointed, but withdrew after the contract was signed and announced.
The Town Manager, who reports to the Mayor and a four-person Board of Commissioners, leads the Town with 120 FTE who work across 5 departments: Administrative Services, Fire, Planning and Development, Police, Public Works/Water. The FY 20-21 general fund budget of $21.8M is supported by a revenue neutral tax rate of $.265 per $100 of assessed tax value as well as two municipal service districts (MSDs) used for Town beach nourishment projects. An adopted beach nourishment capital budget of $43M funds ongoing initiatives.
The Board of Commissioners has adopted a new strategic vision and the next Town Manager must continue to work with the Board to operationalize this vision. A track record of innovation in delivering on strategic initiatives as well as increasing collaborations, effective governance, and service delivery is essential. FOCUS Nags Head, a two-phase comprehensive planning program that is being implemented, can be found here.
Key priorities for the next Town Manager are:
- continuing to plan for and implement the strategic vision process and FOCUS Nags Head initiatives and tying strategic goals to budget development and management;
- evaluate staffing and retention needs and strategies to ensure that the most qualified applicants are attracted to the organization, choose to stay, and develop their careers within the Town of Nags Head;
- enhancing a team-oriented culture built on trust and engagement;
- supporting staff to have passion about the Town vision, meet high standards of performance, work together in a unified fashion and to collaborate with federal, state, home owner associations, and local government community partners to meet strategic goals; and,
- actively engaging and collaborating with regional leaders for planned beach renourishment and other multi-jurisdictional projects.
The hiring range is $145,000-160,000. The Town Manager is eligible for executive benefits that include performance-based merit increases and bonuses. The Town offers competitive benefits which can be reviewed here. Residency is required with the time to relocate negotiated at the time of offer.
Minimum education is a bachelor’s degree; however, a Master of Public Administration (MPA) or equivalent graduate degree is strongly preferred. The ideal candidate will have 7-10 years of progressive experience at the position level of division manager, /department head, or higher within a small to medium-sized municipal government organization. Knowledge of coastal and tourist communities is a plus.
The successful candidate:
- has excellent strategic and prioritization skills;
- has knowledge of environmental issues, land use issues, FEMA, and emergency management;
- enjoys proactively engaging with the community, telling its story, advocating for opportunities, and marketing community strengths;
- is an experienced project manager who systematically plans, monitors, and evaluates initiatives;
- constructively advises the Mayor and Town Board of Commissioners in helping them achieve their vision and priorities;
- has developed organizational succession plans to effectively hire and develop employees;
- has a proven track record in developing and supporting staff to achieve excellence;
- diplomatically engages with diverse stakeholders such as individual citizens, visitors, community groups, Board of Commissioner members, employees, regional, state and federal authorities in order to leverage Town opportunities and mitigate challenges;
- effectively recruits, retains, manages, develops, and engages talented staff to deliver excellent customer service to both internal and external customers;
- possesses excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills; and,
- values accountability and holds high expectations of self and staff to deliver outstanding services to the public.
To apply, go to https://agency.governmentjobs.com/developmentalassociates/default.cfm and click on the Town Manager – Nags Head link. To learn more about the selection process, visit Client Openings (or copy and paste into your browser: https://developmentalassociates.com/client-openings/). All applications must be fully completed and submitted online via the Developmental Associates application portal – NOT the Town portal, nor any other external website; it is not sufficient to send only a resume. Resumes and cover letters can be uploaded with the application. Applicants must apply by June 23, 2021. Application review begins June 24, 2021. Finalists will participate in virtual interviews and skill assessments on August 5-6, 2021. Interviews with the Mayor and Board of Commissioners will follow at a subsequent time. All inquiries should be emailed to [email protected]. The Town of Nags Head is an Equal Opportunity Employer.