The Town of Franklin, NC, a unique town located in the heart of the Nantahala National Forest, is seeking a community-based leader who is energetic, facilitative, and visionary to be their next Town Manager. The Town Manager will demonstrate the ability to work effectively with a Council holding diverse perspectives, partnering with outstanding and competent staff as well as an engaged community to carry out the strategic priorities of the community. Position Responsibilities: The Town Manager reports to the Mayor and a six-person Town Council and works with four Boards: Planning, the Board of Adjustment, Tourism Development Authority, and Franklin Alcoholic Beverage Control Board. The Franklin Town Manager will oversee 57 FTE employees working in the departments of finance, fire and rescue, human resources, police, planning, public works, tax and water, and sewer. The FY 21-22 general fund and capital budgets of $10.5M are supported by a tax rate of $.32 per $100 of assessed tax value. More information about the Town can be found at https://www.franklinnc.com/).
Key priorities for the next Town Manager are:
- proactively creating and supporting economic vitality opportunities related to regional partnerships, business recruitment, and workforce development programs to improve economic indicators such as education, employment, income, and affordable/ safe housing;
- addressing aging infrastructure needs through strategic planning and funding;
- maintaining and enhancing local and regional partnerships with local governments, nonprofits and businesses; and,
- evaluating personnel policies to ensure continued excellence in employee performance and ensuring effective annual goals/evaluations to nurture employee performance.
Salary and Benefits: Hiring range: $85,000 - $120,000. There is a residency requirement to live within Town corporate limits. The Town offers a benefits package of health, dental, life, retirement, and leave.
Qualifications: The successful candidate must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in municipal government management. Familiarity with NC municipal management and a master’s degree are preferred. Must have a proven track record in effective budget development and management, oversight of capital improvement projects, and economic development, building effective intergovernmental partnerships, visible community engagement, and participation in civic and professional organizations.
The Successful Candidate is:
- a confident and trusting leader who allows department heads to exercise their expertise without undue oversight;
- an advocate for continuing education for staff and self to ensure effective training, development, and succession planning;
- committed to the value of citizen accessibility and is visible and engaged with residents and visitors alike through community involvement;
- experienced in developing and managing annual general and capital budgets;
- an assertive consensus builder in working with an engaged Board and staff to carry out Town initiatives;
- adept at assertively and constructively advising and providing guidance to Town Council;
- committed to open and transparent government by leveraging social media, working with local and regional media outlets, encouraging citizen input, and publicizing decisions;
- skillful in carrying out current CIP and debt commitments while finding creative ways to increase revenue, manage expenses, and leverage existing funds for new and necessary initiatives that may arise;
- a responsive, detailed, and deadline-oriented professional who continuously monitors and engages in process improvement in a service-driven organization;
- resilient in the face of challenges and seeks innovative solutions to problems;
- an excellent communicator both verbally and in writing and possesses well-developed interpersonal skills and abilities;
- disciplined and values accountability with high expectations of self and others while also being an effective and respected leader; and,
- a relationship builder and effectively networks with peers in neighboring communities, municipalities throughout the state, and other intergovernmental entities.
Application and Selection Process: To apply, please go to http://www.developmentalassociates.com, and click on Town Manager – Franklin, NC link on the home page. All applications must be fully completed and submitted online via the Developmental Associates application portal – NOT through the Town Application process, nor any other external website; it is not sufficient to send only a resume. Resumes and cover letters should be uploaded with the application. Applicants should apply by June 20th. Application review begins June 23, 2020. Finalists will participate in virtual interviews and skill assessments on July 22-23, 2021. This requires about four hours of time, not including preparation. Interviews with the Town Council will follow at a subsequent time. All inquiries should be emailed to [email protected]. Franklin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Developmental Associates, LLC is managing the recruitment and selection process for this position.