PLEASE REVIEW THE COMPLETE INVITATION TO APPLY ON THE TOWN OF PURCELLVILLE WEBPAGE: https://selfservice.purcellvilleva.gov/ess/employmentopportunities/default.aspx
The Town Manager serves as the Chief Administrative/Executive Officer and is appointed by, and responsible to, the Mayor and Council for the administration of all Town affairs as outlined in the Town Charter including:
- Managing activities of Town departments by assigning priorities and objectives to department heads and professional staff; reviewing/approving management reports regarding department and administrative
- Overseeing the preparation and administration of the Town budget focusing on gaining efficiencies in operations and implementing debt reduction strategies; presenting a balanced budget annually to the Mayor and Council for review and approval.
- Participating in preparation of the Council agenda and related documentation for meetings of the Mayor and Town Council. Prepares an annual report of the Town's accomplishments and awards.
- Providing leadership and direction in the development of short- and long-range plans, ensuring staff focus remains strong in working toward strategic objectives.
- Overseeing the faithful execution of policies, laws and ordinances as adopted by the Mayor and Town Council
- Representing the Town at external meetings and forums, promoting the Town’s objectives and initiatives.
- Providing professional advice to the Mayor and Town
- Attending all meetings of the Council and recommend for adoption such measures as he/she shall deem expedient
- Making reports to the Mayor and Council from time to time upon the affairs of the municipality
- Keeping the Mayor and Council fully advised of the municipality's financial condition and its future financial needs;
- Performing such other duties as may be prescribed by the Council not in conflict with the Town’s Charter.
The expected starting salary for the position is negotiable (depending on qualifications of the selected candidate), with a comprehensive benefits package, including health, dental and life insurance. The Town offers an attractive annual and sick leave program. Relocation expenses are negotiable.
Bachelor’s degree required in public administration, business administration, or related degree from an accredited college or university. A minimum of five (5) years of executive level management experience in local governments of similar size and complexity or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Prior areas of the successful candidate’s experience will include strong knowledge of budgeting, finance and debt reduction strategies.
The ideal candidate for Purcellville’s Town Manager position will be an ethical, personable, openminded, and strong leader that analyzes issues and develops and provides alternatives and solutions to problems, implementing innovative solutions which parallel local government best practices. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to work with his/her governing body to articulate and implement the community’s supported vision to the community and others.
The successful candidate must project confidence, demonstrate an appropriate energy level for the job, and engage elected officials, staff, citizens and other entities in a manner that builds trust and credibility, demonstrating an unbiased, consistent and firm approach in decision-making. Must demonstrate the skills and experience necessary to assist the Mayor and Council in addressing difficult community issues in a professional and compassionate manner. Experience creating an employee friendly culture focused on a business-like approach, professional development opportunities, succession planning, quality customer service, and accountability for job performance are important factors.
The ideal candidate will also possess active listening skills, along with strong communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills that engages all segments of the community and the Town's leadership team in a positive manner that results in positive outcomes. A major attribute the successful candidate should have demonstrated is a record of regular, concise, and informative communication with the Mayor, Council, staff and others focusing on direct responses to questions which are consistent with the Town’s policies, ordinances, plans and stated vision.
Residency within the Town of Purcellville is preferred, but negotiable in accordance with Town Code requirements.
Interested candidates must submit a cover letter, resume and at least three (3) job related references (with email and phone numbers), at the Town of Purcellville website no later than close of business on April 17, 2023. Interested candidates with questions can contact John Anzivino at [email protected] or 540-751-2354.
The Town of Purcellville is an Equal Opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered equally without regard to age, color, disability, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex veteran status or any other status protected by law. All required information must be complete in order to be considered.