CHARMING, SOUTHERN TOWN CLOSE TO CAPITAL CITY
SEEKS TOWN ADMINISTRATOR*
The Town of Youngsville (pop. Approximately 1,500) ideally located in the prosperous Triangle region and in Franklin County, is seeking an energetic, facilitative, and visionary Town Administrator who will wear multiple hats, with a special emphasis on excellent fiscal management and infrastructure project management. The Town Administrator must have the ability to relate well to the community and have the ability to partner with an engaged Board to carry out the strategic priorities of a growing small town wishing to maintain its rural charm.
About the Position:
The Town Administrator, who reports to the Mayor and a five-person, non-partisan Board of Commissioners, will lead a staff of 27 full-time employees and work with the Town Board to execute a vision of the Town that ensures Youngsville develops in a well-planned, intentional, cost-effective manner while enhancing the quality of life for its citizens. The Town Administrator manages a budget of $2.3 million and oversees Police, Public Works, Parks and Recreation, Finance, Planning, and the Town Clerk/Tax Collections. The Town Administrator serves as the town’s Human Resources Director. The Town Administrator also serves as a staff member to the Town’s Board of Alcoholic Beverage Control (which operates two ABC stores in Youngsville’s corporate limits).
Youngsville’s population has doubled in the last 10 years, and growth is continuing to accelerate. The Town’s budget is supported by a tax rate of .655 per $100, and revenue also comes through a Town-owned ABC store that is managed by a local ABC Board. Franklin County provides the Town’s water and sewer services, building inspections, EMS, and Fire. Residents pay an additional .085 in County tax for fire protection. The Town offers natural gas through PSNC and electric services through Duke Energy or Wake Electric depending on location.
The Town has completed its first Comprehensive Plan, Youngsville Town Plan 2040, and the first Unified Development Ordinance. A recent RFP for a Main Street project was issued and this project will be overseen by the next Town Administrator.
Work also includes developing and administering the Town’s budget and CIP, updating Town ordinances, assisting with downtown development, expanding recreational opportunities, and interacting daily with citizens to address concerns and questions. The next Town Administrator will be an effective communicator and inspirational leader who is able to motivate and develop staff; build partnerships with other local and state agencies; is knowledgeable about economic development, and able to evaluate Town infrastructure needs.
*The Town Board has given the Administrator all powers and duties of a manager (GS 160A-148).
The hiring range for this position is between $95,000 and $105,000 and will be negotiated based on experience and qualifications. Residency is not required, although encouraged for candidates moving to the area. The Town’s benefits package includes membership in the NC Local Government Employees Retirement System; paid health, dental, and life insurance; paid vacation and sick leave; paid holidays.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree (with Masters of Public Administration or equivalent graduate degree strongly preferred) and at least 3 years of experience as a Town Administrator or Assistant Administrator, or 5-10 years of progressive management experience at a department head level or higher (preferably with a focus in planning, engineering or finance) with some experience working in a small or mid-sized municipal government organization. ICMA credentialed certification is desirable.
The successful candidate:
- has excellent strategic and prioritization skills;
- is strategic and innovative regarding areas for growth, new development, and redevelopment while balancing strengths in single-family home development and economic development for retail, industry, high-density opportunities;
- is adept at constructively advising and providing guidance to Town Council in helping them achieve their vision and priorities;
- is comfortable being the face of the community, telling its story, advocating for opportunities and marketing strengths;
- has a proven track record in developing and supporting staff to achieve excellence;
- enjoys and embraces engaging with the community;
- skilled at diplomatically engaging with a diversity of stakeholders such as individual citizens, community groups, Board of Commissioner members, employees, regional, state and federal authorities in order to leverage Town opportunities and mitigate challenges;
- able to effectively recruit, retain, manage, develop and engage talented staff to deliver excellent customer service to both internal and external customers;
- has outstanding interpersonal skills both one on one and in groups;
- is a creative thinker in assessing ways to increase revenue and manage expenses;
- networks with peers in neighboring communities and in municipalities throughout the state;
- communicates excellently both verbally and in writing and possesses well-developed interpersonal skills and abilities; and,
- values accountability and holds high expectations of self and others while also being an effective and respected leader.
To apply, go to https://agency.governmentjobs.com/developmentalassociates/default.cfm and click on the – Town Administrator – Youngsville link. To learn more about the selection process, visit Client Openings (or copy and paste into your browser: https://developmentalassociates.com/client-openings/). It is not sufficient to send only a resume. Resumes and cover letters should be uploaded with the application. Application review begins June 17, 2021. Applicants should apply by June 21, 2021. Finalists will participate in virtual interviews and skill assessments on July 15-16, 2021. This requires about 3-4 hours of time, not including preparation. Interviews with the Leadership team will follow at a subsequent time. Applicants are encouraged to hold these dates should they be invited to participate. All inquiries should be emailed to [email protected]. Youngsville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Developmental Associates, LLC is managing the recruitment and selection process for this position.