This position will:
- Provide expertise on all legal affairs/matters for the State Health Plan (Plan).
- Provide legal expertise and assistance to the GC, EA, Plan Leadership Team, and all Plan staff. Develop, Implement, and Maintain Legal and Compliance Processes.
- Provide support on all litigation involving the Plan.
- Work with the Plan Director of Customer Experience and Communications to provide legal review of public records requests, as needed. This role shall be the primary reviewer for requests related to any litigation or contract assigned to this position.
- Provide counsel on legislation, draft proposed legislation, track legislation that may impact the Plan, draft responses to legislative inquiries, and meet with legislative members and staff to educate on Plan operations and the potential effect of proposed legislation on Plan operations.
- Advise on the Plan's position regarding the interpretation of healthcare related privacy requirements and other federal laws (establishing how the Plan interprets these laws or changes in these laws).
- Recommend policy and procedure changes based on philosophy of simplifying processes, reducing exposure, and improving legal outcomes.
- Work on Plan appeals process in reviewing and drafting final agency actions, and support litigation proceeding before the Office of Administrative Hearings.
- Plan and provide legal support on compliance with all NC General Statutes and other applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
- Provide support in reviewing Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for fiduciary and strategic language to ensure the State, Treasurer's Office, Plan and Plan members remain the focus of the (RFPs) and subsequent contract(s) as requested by the EA.
- Serve as Secretary to the Board of Trustees.
The Department of State Treasurer's campus is located off Atlantic Avenue, is surrounded by many shopping centers and restaurants, has access to a 24-hour 7-day a week free gym on the campus, and offers a competitive benefit package, and has free employee parking. This is a full-time position (40 hours per week) with State Benefits, including health insurance, paid vacation, paid sick time, paid holidays, as well as retirement.
The North Carolina State Health Plan for Teachers and State Employees, a division of the Department of State Treasurer, provides health care coverage to more than 743,000 teachers and local school personnel, state employees, retirees, current and former lawmakers, state university and community college faculty and staff, and their dependents.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Qualified applicants must possess, and application must clearly reflect work experience that demonstrates the following:
- Thorough knowledge of case, statutory, regulatory, and common law
- Thorough knowledge of judicial and quasi-judicial procedures
- Ability to provide technical and administrative supervision of others
- Ability to assist with complex civil or criminal litigation
- Ability to interpret and apply laws, constitutional provisions, statutes, administrative regulations, court decisions, legal principles and other legal precedent, contract, civil and statutory, regulatory and common law
- Ability to perform legal research
- Strong research and writing skills
- Ability to analyze facts and legal instruments
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to perceive the operational environment from a legal, political, legislative, and operational perspective
- Healthcare law experience
- Public sector experience
- Litigation experience
*PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ON-LINE USING THIS WEBSITE *
This position is subject to a criminal history background check through CastleBranch. In addition, one or more of the following may also be reviewed, depending on the nature and requirements of the position: employment history, professional references, credit history, and educational verification (i.e., degree, license, or official transcript). Foreign degrees may require an official evaluation for U.S. equivalency. Applicants will be required to pass the background check to the satisfaction of the North Carolina Department of State Treasurer. All offers of employment are conditional until the satisfactory completion of the background check.
All applicants must complete and submit a State application for employment using the NEOGOV Online Job Application System (governmentjobs.com) for the State of North Carolina. To receive credit for your work history and credentials, you must list the information on the online application form. Any information omitted from the application cannot be considered in screening for qualifying credit. Attached or incorporated resumes (including Text resumes on application form) WILL NOT be used for screening for qualifying credit. Please make sure you complete the application in full.
"See Resume" or "See Attachment" will NOT be accepted. Other attachments will also be accepted, but not used in screening for qualifying credit.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the phone. To check the status of your application, please log in to your account and click "Application Status". It is not necessary to contact the Human Resources Office to check the status of an application.
If you are having technical issues submitting your application, please call the NeoGov Help Line at 855-524-5627. If there are any questions about this posting, other than your application status, please email Department of State Treasurer at HR[email protected].