The City of Morganton is a vibrant and energized city of 17,000 citizens located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains with a track record of innovation, creativity, positive results, and a progressive mindset. The City is looking for a self-motivated, well-organized, flexible, planning professional to join our team.
This position performs planning work that provides coordinated guidance and regulation of the growth and development of the City. Work includes:
- Performing the detailed review and analysis of applications for site plan approval, special use permits, certificates of appropriateness, planned developments and landscape plans;
- Responsible for documentation and record keeping of map amendments, text amendments, subdivisions and related plans/documents;
- Assisting property owners, developers, citizens and various City departments on matters related to zoning codes and ordinances;
- Conducting research on zoning, annexation and other issues;
- Developing various types of maps using generally accepted software;
- Supervising the Zoning Technician / Code Enforcement Officer.
Target starting range is $48,000 - $54,000, depending on experience.
Work involves providing technical guidance with considerable public contact on issues requiring judgment, firmness, customer service and tact. The ability to multi-task is valuable. Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Planning, Public Administration, Landscape Architect, Geography or similar related field. A minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of progressively responsible professional planning experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience in planning in the public sector. Must possess a valid NC driver’s license and an AICP certification is preferred.
Open until filled. Applications may be obtained online at www.morgantonnc.gov or at the Human Resources Department, Morganton City Hall, 305 E. Union Street, Suite A-100, Morganton, NC. Phone (828) 438-5253 EOE.