Senior Community Planner
Eastern Carolina Council
Do you enjoy working on a variety of projects and positively impacting multiple communities? Eastern Carolina Council of Governments (ECC), located in New Bern, NC, is seeking a qualified individual to fill a Senior Community Planner position. ECC serves a nine-county region that has a land mass of 5,710 square miles and a population of approximately 644,000 people. The successful candidate will be actively involved in a wide variety of planning work that will require working with local elected officials, staff members, and citizens on a regular basis. Position duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Develops, coordinates, and directs a variety of special and comprehensive plans and projects related to the economic development, environment, transportation, land use or redevelopment of the region.
- Provides facilitation and management services for local and regional efforts; provides staff support and technical guidance to various regional task forces and groups; designs and facilitates processes and meetings; builds consensus on a wide variety of topics among diverse parties; continually monitors communities to be proactive in identifying actual and potential issues and suggests strategies for dealing with concerns.
- Provides technical assistance in specialty areas of work to local government units, including grant and loan applications, planning and zoning, water and wastewater planning, American Rescue Plan, and disaster and recovery /resilience planning.
- Conducts, analyzes, and studies special issues and makes recommendations; gathers data; performs research; and drafts reports.
- Applies for funding from governmental and private sources; oversees staff contracts; sets resource allocations, and priorities; assures billing; complies with funding requirements.
The ideal applicant will be a motivated individual with demonstrated leadership ability and excellent communication, writing, oral presentation, and organizational/time management skills. This position requires the planner to work on a variety of different tasks, often at the same time. This position requires Graduation from a four-year college or university with a degree in Planning or Public Administration and considerable professional experience in municipal, county, or regional planning work, as well as GIS; AICP certification is preferred, but not required.
The Senior Community Planner position requires traveling within ECC’s nine-county region, attending some evening meetings, and occasional overnight travel. The position’s work will be mainly conducted at the office, but will require travel to meetings of municipal, county, and regional entities. ECC values professional growth and development and therefore, supports opportunities to obtain and maintain professional certifications and attend planning conferences. Excellent benefits package including 401k and LGERS. Hiring range starts at $53,174 with a midpoint of $69,127, DOQ.
How to Apply
EOE (Equal Opportunity Employer)