Franklin County Planning Department is recruiting for a Planning Technician. Employees in this class perform a wide variety of administrative support, secretarial, office management, and clerical duties. Work generally requires that employees independently handle certain activities such as information processing and referral, fiscal controls, computer systems administration, or a special aspect of a program of office activity. Some positions in the class require office management and supervisory skills. Secretarial duties are considered at the advanced journey level and require considerable tact and discretion in handling sensitive or confidential matters in the program areas. Work requires a broader knowledge of office operations in order that the role may serve as backup and at a competent level in several roles. Employee must be able to function independently and exercise self-initiative, and may be required to supervise, and or provide technical assistance to other clerical positions within the organization. Complex matters are referred to higher level supervisors. Sound judgment is required in performing assigned tasks. Frequent personal contact is required with developers, surveyors, county employees, property owners, and the general public. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Planning & Inspections Director or other designated departmental supervisor and is evaluated through observation, conferences, and the quality and effectiveness of work completed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responds to inquiries from the public as pertains to various codes, ordinances, and regulations pertaining to the services provided by the Planning and Inspections Department; refers complex inquiries to superiors.
- Schedules meetings between department staff and clients.
- Assists with the maintenance of the Department’s web page.
- Issues limited Zoning Permits at the direction of the Director of Planning and Inspections.
- Advises applicants as to deficiencies in plans and specifications.
- Assists planning staff with compilation and preparation of information for presentation of recommendations to Planning Board and County Commissioners concerning rezoning requests.
- Assists in preparation of reports, agenda, minutes, and packets for board meetings.
- Prepares legal notices as necessary.
- Handles confidential or sensitive information in an appropriate manner.
- May be assigned payroll, accounting, and budgetary functions for the Department.
- Orders supplies and materials and serves as department contact with the Finance Department; approves bills for payment; makes recommendations on equipment and technology upgrades to the director.
- Provides customer service in the issuance of permits for various inspections and regulations; answers a variety of questions from contractors and the general public; deposits cash receipts and prepares a variety of scheduled reports for various government agencies.
- Interprets rules and regulations, and other information as pertains to departmental functions.
- Prepares a variety of correspondence and reports.
- Reviews and processes timesheets for payroll.
- Maintains department records and files; conducts appropriate follow-up on various matters as needed.
- Requests information using standardized forms; compiles information requiring the selection of data from well-established sources.
- Screens and routes materials according to content of communications; may perform research or pull related materials from files.
- Reviews records and/or reports to identify any inconsistencies; determines the cause and resolves those identified with appropriate individuals.
- Organizes and directs special programs and activities for the Department as assigned.
- Serves as office coordinator or senior clerical support staff resource.
- Serves as backup for positions within the Department.
- Performs related duties as required.
$41,984 - $44,194
Associate degree, and extensive experience in planning and zoning; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Must possess a valid North Carolina Driver’s License and be certified as a North Carolina Notary Public upon hire.
Please visit our website for a full job description and to apply.