Description of Work:
The position administers the systems and processes for planning, code enforcement, and zoning services to provide coordinated guidance and regulation of the growth and development of the County. Work involves short-range and long-range planning for policies, ordinances and comprehensive land use plans, and administration of state and federal grants. Involves direct and indirect supervision of employees.
- Attends various board meetings as a representative of the County.
- Responds to questions, concerns, and requests for information from citizens and employees.
- Prepares a variety of planning related reports and records and files with appropriate government agencies, boards, or commissions.
- Plans, organizes, and manages the operations of the department.
- Provides staff support to the Planning Board and oversight to work of Board of Adjustment, Environmental Affairs Board, and Western Piedmont Regional Transit Authority which the County Manager is the primary board member and the Planning Director is the alternate.
- Analyzes County planning needs, problems, programs, services, and requests for assistance; recommends priorities.
- Conducts studies, recommends, and continually updates comprehensive land use plan.
- Develops and recommends annual budget for the department; monitors and approves expenditures.
- Develops and/or supervises the review and drafting or revision of planning and zoning ordinances, policies, and procedures for the County.
- Directly and indirectly supervises employees.
Additional Job Duties
Performs related duties as required.
Salary Range: $74,601 - $115,610 Annually
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of rural and urban planning and zoning
- Extensive knowledge of the principles and practices of planning processes pertaining to the design and development of County activities, research, zoning and sub-division activities, and the socio-economic implications.
- Considerable knowledge of governmental laws, grants, and services pertinent to the planning process.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to present information and to communicate clearly and concisely in both oral and written forms.
Minimum Training and Experience Requirements:
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Planning, Public Administration, or related field and three (3+) years of planning and/or land use planning experience including supervisory experience, or
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Planning or related field and five (5+) years of planning and/or land use planning experience, including supervisory experience, or
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
American Institute of Certified Planners’ certification preferred.
Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Application Process: Burke County applications can be obtained at the Human Resources office, located at 200 Avery Ave., Morganton, NC 28655 or online at: www.burkenc.org
Burke County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, genetic information, or disability in employment or the provision of services.