Transylvania County is a community with a rich cultural scene, grounded in tradition and history and with a vision for the future. We are a community that has a wonderful public and private education system that provides our region with a well-trained and viable workforce. Transylvania County has a population of 33,211, featuring over 250 waterfalls with the highest, Whitewater reaching a staggering 411ft. For the outdoor enthusiast there are 1000+ miles of trails, 300+ miles of cycling territory including single tracks and fire roads; fly fishing from the many streams, pristine swimming holes and even mountain climbing at the famous Looking Glass Rock scaling 60ft of granite face rock. Come join and see what our community is all about!
Transylvania County seeks a Planning and Community Development Director to lead efforts in Planning, Community Development and Rural Transit. Including land use planning, administration of housing and historic preservation grants and coordination with NCDOT on public and community transportation needs.
Performs complex professional work planning, organizing, developing, initiating, and directing all Planning and Community Development Department and Rural Transit Department programs and services including land use planning, administration of housing and historic preservation grants, and coordination with NCDOT on public and community transportation needs. This position also performs related professional, administrative and technical work as required. Work involves setting policies and goals under the direction of the County Manager. Departmental supervision is exercised over all personnel within the department.
- Serves as the Chief Planning Official for all county planning issues; directs and participates in current and long-range planning projects
- Serves as principal communicator regarding the County's regulations, policies and procedures on all planning, community development, and transportation matters to elected and appointed officials, County employees, officials from other political jurisdictions, citizens, property and business owners, real estate developers and the media
- Consults with developers, surveyors, engineers, architects, appraisers, real estate agents, attorneys and other citizens and agencies regarding land use, planning and community development issues
- Oversees the administration of the Subdivision Ordinance, Mobile Home Park Ordinance, Mountain Ridge Ordinance, Telecommunications Tower Ordinance, and other ordinances as applicable
- Oversees and coordinates rural transit services for the County, including oversight of transportation services conducted via contract with third party organizations and contracts pertaining to vehicle maintenance.
- Reviews and approves preliminary and final subdivision plats in accordance with state statute and the County's Subdivision Ordinance
- Research, draft and make recommendations on policies, programs, activities, processes, codes and procedures
- Advises County Manager, Planning Board, Board of Commissioners, staff and public on planning matters
- Coordinates planning activities with federal, state, municipal, regional and private agencies
- Coordinates state and federal grants for transportation funding with the Land of Sky Rural Planning Organization
- Serves as the liaison between the Planning Board members, Transportation Advisory Committee members, Joint Historic Preservation Commission members and the Board of Commissioners
- Prepares project materials and makes recommendations through presentations and written report to County Boards and Commissions, civic groups and public groups
- Leads the Planning Board in the preparation of the County's Comprehensive Plan
- Plans, supervises and directs the work of department personnel; oversees department recruitment and selection activities; conducts performance evaluations of department personnel; counsels and disciplines department personnel; recommends promotions, salary increases and terminations
- Prepares and administers the department budget, monitors expenditures
- Coordinates Long Range Transportation Roadway planning with the county Transportation Advisory Committee and serves on the Technical Coordinating Committee of the regional Rural Planning Organization
- Performs other related duties
To apply visit the applicant portal at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/transylvaniacounty
Hiring Range 70,645.05 - 962548.40
Requires: Bachelor's degree with coursework in planning, public or business administration, or related field and (7) years’ experience in planning, public administration, or combination of education and experience