Franklin County Planning and Inspections Department is recruiting for a Planner II. An employee in this class performs professional planning work in a variety of projects for long range and current planning efforts. The employee’s primary responsibilities will be coordinating County transportation planning efforts, implementation of the Comprehensive Development Plan, review of rezoning requests and other projects as related to storm water and historic preservation efforts. Work involves considerable research, public contact often in sensitive or emotional issues requiring judgment, firmness, and tact. The role also includes developing a favorable relationship between the County and the community. Work is supervised by the Planning Director and is evaluated through conferences, review of work results obtained, and overall acceptance of the programs by the County’s citizens.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordination of County transportation efforts with the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (CAMPO) and the Kerr Tar Rural Planning Organization.
- Implementation of the Comprehensive Development Plan and Countywide Bicycle Pedestrian Plan.
- Coordination with the Upper Neuse River Basin Association for implementation of Falls Lake Rules.
- Assist with Historic Preservation Planning efforts.
- Drafts ordinance text amendments; performs short range and long-range planning/land use studies; lead and/or serve on study committees related to planning and land use matters.
- Participates in workshops, meetings, and public hearings to explain planning proposals; answers citizen questions concerning plans and problems; makes various presentations of staff recommendations and possible scenarios.
- Uses a variety of computer programs to generate reports and data, and to prepare presentations, charts, maps, graphs, and other illustrative materials for presentation to elected officials, appointed boards, and citizens.
- Meets with developers, property owners, and consultants as needed to discuss development proposals and other planning matters.
- Attends meetings of County Commissioners as needed to make presentations concerning land‑use development regulations and proposals.
- Designs and implements changes to the county’s GIS website related to land use regulations and related matters.
- Performs related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of the County’s zoning, land use, and other ordinances and codes.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of community and economic development and public sector planning.
- Considerable knowledge of governmental laws, programs, and services pertinent to the community and economic development and planning processes.
- Considerable knowledge of GIS systems including application of software, hardware, and peripherals to planning needs.
- Considerable knowledge of the environmental and socio‑economic implications of the planning process.
- Considerable skill in the collection, analysis, and presentation of technical data and planning recommendations.
- Considerable skill in conflict resolution, meeting facilitation, and public presentations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with community groups, federal, state, regional, county officials, and the general public.
- Ability to enforce codes with firmness and tact.
- Ability to prepare comprehensive reports and studies.
- Ability to express ideas effectively in oral and written forms.
Salary Range: $48,602 – $51,160
Graduation from a college or university with a degree in urban or regional planning, geography, public administration, community development or a related field, and experience in technical and administrative support work preferably in a local government planning office; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Possession of a valid North Carolina driver's license. Proficiency with GIS. Possession of AICP certification desired.
Franklin County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The County prohibits discrimination based on race, sex, color, creed, national origin, age or disability.
Pre-Employment Drug Screen and Criminal Background Screening are required.
How to Apply: Visit https://www.franklincountync.us/employment-opportunities/employment-center to complete an electronic application or to obtain a printable application.