The TOWN OF MOREHEAD CITY, located on the beautiful Crystal Coast in eastern North Carolina, is currently seeking an energetic, self-motivated, professional, and experienced candidate for the full-time position of PARKS & RECREATION DIRECTOR. Morehead City is the largest incorporated town in Carteret County with over 16,625 residents in the City limits and extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ) and encompassing 16.85 square miles of land area. Morehead City is a vibrant community with over 72 acres of parks & recreation facilities, and the Parks & Recreation Director plays a critical role in the management of the City’s recreational and parks daily operations. We are seeking an experienced individual to be a part of a team that is passionate about the diversity of our City and the community that we serve.
The position of the Parks & Recreation Director is a department management level position under the general direction of the Assistant City Manager. The Parks & Recreation Director will exercise independent judgement while managing the daily operation of the department. Job responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Managing parks, facilities, programs and a Recreation Center.
- Overseeing the maintenance of all City parks, docks, recreation facilities to provide input for risk management, safety, security plans, policies and procedures.
- Providing input for City strategic planning; analyzing trends and best practices; developing comprehensive program plans.
- Supervising all full and part-time staff.
- Evaluating the adequacy of parks and recreation facilities, programs and policies and implementing new programs, events, and activities to meet community needs.
- Analyzing operating data including attendance, revenue, expenditures, maintenance, and marketing.
- Preparing and managing the revenue and expenditures of the departmental budget.
- Developing, implementing, and managing capital improvement projects.
- Managing specific contracts and agreements.
- Researching, providing input, and/or preparing support requests for grants, donations, scholarships, etc.
- Overseeing the department website and other social media platforms.
- Serving as the City liaison on the Parks & Recreation Advisory Board.
- Collaborating with external groups, boards, committees and councils; managing relationships with outside organizations.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with internal and external partners.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Comprehensive knowledge of all phases of community parks and recreation activities and their administration.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and methods of park and playground planning and development.
- Through knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration with special reference to personnel and budget administration.
- Considerable supervisory experience.
- The ability to cooperate with and interpret recreational philosophies to City authorities, private groups, agencies and businesses and the general public.
- The ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, both orally and in writing.
- The ability to prepare and present detailed reports.
- The ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from residents, the public and/or members of the business community.
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other department heads, governmental officials, associates, and the general public.
If you are interested in this outstanding opportunity to join a competent, committed, and energetic team, please complete a City application, attach a cover letter and a current resume. To apply, complete a City application, cover letter, and a current resume and submit to the City’s website at https://moreheadcitync.org/247/Employment-Application and submit the entire package to either:
- Email to: [email protected]; or
- Mail to: Town of Morehead City, Human Resources Department, 1100 Bridges Street, Morehead City, NC 28557
Questions regarding this job announcement, and/or to request a complete position job description, may be directed to the Human Resources Department at [email protected] or by phone number 252-726-6848 ext. 124. The City reserves the right to consider only those applicants that meet the qualifications of the position. Morehead City is an Equal Opportunity Employer. OPEN UNTIL FILLED
The salary range for this position is $76,823 to $119,844. Placement within this range will depend upon a candidate’s successful qualifications and experience. The City provides a comprehensive benefits package which can be found at the City’s website at https://moreheadcitync.org/246/Employee-Benefits.
The position requires a bachelor’s degree with coursework in Parks and Recreation administration or related field and considerable experience in parks and recreation administration, programming and facilities management, supervising or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Possession of a valid unrestricted NC driver’s license required. Background/drug test required.