Job Title: Local Health Director
Department: Health and Human Services
Hiring Range: $90,886.96 - $140,874.79
Job Posting End Date: January 05, 2023
Purpose of the position:
The primary purpose of the Public Health Director is to provide strategic leadership in the administration of core and essential public health programs within Buncombe County Health & Human Services, which includes a comprehensive and diverse array of programs that significantly impact the health, safety, and wellbeing of the community.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience (required at time of hire):
Master’s degree in public health administration and at least two (2) years of employment experience in health programs or health services; or a master’s degree in a public health discipline other than public health administration and at least three (3) years of employment experience in health programs or health services; or a bachelor’s degree in public health administration or public administration and at least four (4) years of experience in health programs or health services with at least one (1) year in a supervisory or administrative capacity; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation:
Minimum training and experience requirements are in accordance with GS 130A-40 and GS 130A-45.5. For master’s degree related to public health, the determination must be made by the State Health Director.
Essential Functions of the position:
- Provide overall strategic and administrative leadership to all programs and service areas within the Public Health Division, including oversight of programmatic performance standards, monitoring and evaluation of service delivery, overall management of budget activities, oversight of human capital management activities, and assuring safe, supportive, trauma-informed work environments for staff.
- Serve as the primary Public Health representative for Buncombe County HHS in communications with partners agencies, the media, intra/inter-government departments, and as a consultant to the HHS Director and Medical Director regarding Public Health related situations affecting the community.
- Assure the enforcement of public health laws and regulations related to programmatic authority and jurisdiction.
- Oversee contractual relationships and service delivery performance and accountability between the State Division of Public Health, Buncombe County HHS, and any local funding sub-recipients
- Assure the Public Health Division meets the state's accreditation guidelines set forth by the North Carolina Local Health Department Accreditation Program.
- Personnel/team Management to ensure a competent workforce: Hire, develop, counsel and evaluate performance; provide feedback and disciplinary action as needed; develop and maintain a positive team work environment; provide effective and timely communication.
- Administer and assure compliance with all county and human resource policies including those covered by local, state, and federal laws.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles of supervision and organizing.
- Ability to express ideas effectively orally and in writing
- Knowledge of legal mandates and core services functions of public health in NC.
- Knowledge of best practice, research and policy/practice forecasting within the field of public health.
- Knowledge of and investment to work within an integrated HHS structure.
- Knowledge of modern construction practices, inspection codes, and environmental rules and laws preferred.
- Ability to analyze and comprehend a variety of technical and administrative regulation, records, and reports;
- Ability to set priorities, implement changes and organize;
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and deal tactfully with a wide range of the public while enforcing public health laws and rules.
- Ability to apply environmental health knowledge and techniques in the investigation of environmental health problems, and experience in public health preparedness, accreditation and CQI preferred.
In order to uphold internal pay parity and equity, salaries are non-negotiable for new and current Buncombe County employees. All new employees are paid according to their years of relevant education and experience above minimum requirements for the position and employees have the opportunity to obtain pay increases via cost of living increases and promotions.
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee's unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition, Buncombe County expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses will remain confidential within the human resource department; and (c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this information will have no bearing on your application and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.
Hiring Range: $90,886.96 - $140,874.79
Please follow this link to view job description and apply: https://buncombecounty.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/Buncombe_County_Careers/job/Asheville-NC/Local-Health-Director_R02320