Performs responsible technical and administrative work overseeing all operations of the Central Permitting and Inspections Department. An employee in this class is responsible for directing all operations of the department, including managing the office, permit issuance, or denial and overseeing field inspections and plans review processes. Work generally requires the employee to provide supervision, guidance and direction to other employees and to use independent judgment and discretion when interpreting and explaining building codes. Work is performed under general supervision of the County Manager.
Depending on Qualifications and Experience
- Graduation from high school, with vocational/technical training and extensive experience in reviewing building plans and conducting field inspections, including some administrative experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five years' experience in construction or related experience and a minimum of seven to eight years' experience in Building and Fire Trade Inspections.
- Valid North Carolina Driver License.
- Level III certifications in the four Building Trades and Level III Fire certification from the North Carolina Code Officials Qualification Board preferred.
- Maintains professional certifications and affiliations, as required.