Known as the “Home of Golf”, Moore County, North Carolina is consistently rated as one of the best places to live. In addition to being considered one of the safest County’s in the State, Moore County offers its residents a variety of benefits to include a moderate climate, first rate medical care at First Health of the Carolinas and its affiliates, Parks and Recreation programs, and exceptional schools.
The Moore County Board of Health is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Health Director. The powers and duties of the local health director are defined per G.S. 130A-41. This position will serve as the director of the department, working in a range of general administrative and management functions to ensure compliance and adherence to all relevant federal, state, and local ordinances, regulations, and statutes; supervises a staff of 35 health employees plus 13 environmental health employees; is responsible for administering a total budget of approximately $4.5 million. This position is responsible for budget planning, preparation and reconciliation; assessment and development of programs to meet community needs; responsible for the recruitment, employment and retention of personnel and personnel management as to ensure adequate, efficient, effective and economical health services; ensures the investigation of reported diseases, exercises quarantine and isolation authority when appropriate; duties also involves representing the agency with government officials, medical/dental agencies, health care providers, public/private schools and a variety of advocacy groups to influence the decision making process in order to insure adequate resources for program maintenance and expansion and the delivery of comprehensive services.
$91,694 - $137,542
- Master's degree in public health administration and at least (1) year of employment experience in health programs or health services; OR
- Master’s degree in a public health discipline other than public health administration and at least (3) years employment experience in health programs or health services; OR
- Master's degree in public administration and at least (2) years experience in health programs or health services; OR
- Master’s degree in a field related to public health and at least (3) years of experience in health programs or health services; OR
- Bachelor’s degree in public health administration or public administration and at least (3) years experience in health programs or health services.
The successful candidate will possess exceptionally effective communication skills, unquestionable integrity, and the ability to maintain public trust. The successful candidate will also have general knowledge of management principles, techniques, and practices. Through knowledge of the principles and practices of public health. Working knowledge of applicable federal, state laws, rules, and regulations. Ability to exercise sound judgement in analyzing situations and making decisions; direct employees and programs in the various areas of responsibility; and develop and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, and with federal, state, and local officials.
Please submit your application online at
Please call the Moore County Human Resources Office at (910) 947-6362.
You may also visit us at
302 Monroe Street
Carthage, NC 28327.