Isle of Wight County invites candidates for our Director of Tourism position. The Director of Tourism markets Isle of Wight County and the Town of Smithfield nationally and internationally by working with County and Town leaders and citizens on projects and events. Additionally, the Director of Tourism oversees and manages the Visitor Center and offers educational programs to citizens. Reports to the County Administrator.
Isle of Wight County in Coastal Virginia consists of over 300 square miles with two towns (Town of Smithfield and Town of Windsor) within its boundaries and a population of over 37,000 residents. While the County is part of the Virginia Beach – Norfolk - Newport News Metropolitan Statistical Area, its residents have the best of all worlds with rural heritage, cultural tradition of arts and festivals, vibrant small towns, rich history, multitude of leisure activities, and a top quality school system. Isle of Wight County is the Community of Choice that CARES, dedicated to Choice, Accountability, Rural Heritage, Excellence, and Service.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Markets area in order to maximize revenue for local area from national and international visitors;
- Works with owners/managers of local eateries, lodging, shops, and attractions;
- Works with community organizations on projects and events;
- Speaks with the press and travel writers;
- Attends board of supervisors meeting, town council meetings, and county and town staff meetings;
- Participates in state tourism committees;
- Works with local stakeholders to maximize their ROI potential;
- Supervises visitor center staff;
- Performs inventory/property management;
- Prepares and/or processes purchase orders;
- Manages or administers grant funds;
- Manages the budget within assigned unit/division;
- Makes recommendations that impact the budget;
- Manages the budget within assigned department;
- Determines allocation of budget among divisions;
- Exercises purchasing authority up to $5,000 without approval from supervisor;
- Attends and organizes educational seminars for the Commonwealth of Virginia;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Provide direction and full support to supervisors and employees regarding safety and health, job-training and hazard elimination procedures, and correction of identified safety deficiencies in accordance with County policy.
Salary will be dependent upon the qualifications of the selected candidate and is expected to be within the hiring range of $79,201 – $102,961. The County’s Total Compensation Package includes the Virginia Retirement System participation, paid vacation (accrual based on total years of service paid into a state and/or local government retirement plan) and sick leave, medical and dental insurance, deferred compensation programs, supplemental insurance programs, group life insurance, professional dues and continuing education expenses.
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) and a minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible related experience. Requires a Virginia Association of Destination Marketing Organizations-Virginia Destination Professional Certification-(VADMO VDP) or ability to obtain within six months of hire. Requires a valid driver’s license and a VADMO VDP certification or obtain within six months of hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of local area, sales and public relations skills;
- Knowledge of effective written and oral communication techniques when interacting with individuals and groups of diverse economic, cultural, social, and educational backgrounds;
- Skilled in organization and management;
- Skilled in the use of a variety of office equipment including: computer-driven work processing, spreadsheet, and file maintenance programs;
- Ability to be an effective public speaker.
To apply for the position, please visit https://agency.governmentjobs.com/isleofwightva/default.cfm and click on the Director of Tourism link. Please complete the online application and attach a cover letter, resume, and copies of your certifications along with your application. The position is open until filled and applications will be reviewed beginning July 6, 2021 and on a rolling basis thereafter. Isle of Wight County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please contact Director of Human Resources Michelle Clark should you require assistance or more information at [email protected]