The Town of Nags Head, NC, a coastal resort community along the northern Outer Banks, is seeking a highly motivated professional with strong leadership skills as the Town’s next Director of Planning and Development.
This individual will perform professional and administrative work directing the activities of the Planning & Development Department. Emphasis on work in planning, organizing and directing long-range and current planning activities; overseeing zoning, building inspection, permitting and code enforcement services; managing programs and staff; coordinating work with the Town Manager and department directors; and serving as staff support to various boards and commissions. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Town Manager.
Desired characteristics include:
- A strong customer orientation and the ability to inspire this in others.
- The willingness to constantly evaluate and improve processes and procedures.
- A strong communicator who can educate the public about departmental and Town services.
- The desire to regularly receive public feedback about important issues and ways to improve Town services.
- The ability to work through difficult issues with the public in a professional and respectful manner, applying creativity to generate solutions to complex problems.
- Strong leadership, team-building, and supervisory skills.
- The ability to develop positive relationships with staff, citizens, boards, and other stakeholders.
Examples of Work
- Plans, organizes and directs all planning activities including long-range planning, current planning including all aspects of permitting, building inspections, code enforcement, grants and geographic information systems.
- Oversees the development, interpretation and enforcement of the zoning ordinances and related environmental codes; provides technical assistance on complex issues.
- Develops long-range planning activities; conducts analyses and plans.
- Drafts ordinances and amendments to the zoning, subdivision and land development ordinances.
- Works with consultants and other departments on project/program implementation.
- Prepares correspondence, reports and serves as support staff for the Board of Commissioners, Planning Board, and Board of Adjustment.
- Serves as liaison with community groups; provides community outreach regarding planning activities and Town programs. Works with these groups to build consensus within the community.
- Provides policy guidance and work oversight to staff on project review, permit issuance and code enforcement.
The Town’s benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, participation in the North Carolina Local Government Employees Retirement System, 401k match, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave. Full salary range: $80,752 - $125,166 with a starting salary up to the midpoint of $102,959, depending on qualifications. The successful applicant is subject to a criminal background check and a pre-employment drug screening.
- Bachelor’s degree in urban and regional planning, public administration, or other field of study related to the work performed is required.
- A minimum of four years of supervisory experience, preferably in local government.
- Coastal land planning experience and working knowledge of the National Flood Insurance Program preferred.
- AICP certification and professional planning work with a municipal or county government preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of urban and regional planning including land use management, growth management, subdivision development and zoning.
- Thorough knowledge of laws, regulations, policies and procedures related to land use planning, zoning, subdivision ordinances, community development, and local governments.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Town and other local government officials and other agencies, associates and the general public.
- Ability to clearly communicate complex ideas and information both orally and in writing, in addition to recognizing the importance of impeccable customer service delivery.