Director, Development Services
The growing community of Kings Mountain, NC (pop. approx. 12,000) seeks a highly skilled, energetic, collaborative, and visionary servant leader to embrace the newly-created position of “Director of Development Services”
(Salary range: $96,000 - $114,500)
Situated in the foothills of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, Kings Mountain is ideally-located along the I-85 corridor between Greenville/Spartanburg, SC and the ever-expanding growth dynamics of the Charlotte, NC metropolitan area.
While the City has seen steady, sustainable growth over the last several years, recent developments and announcements have assured that the near and mid-term growth dynamics will change and the resultant development pressures affecting the community will soon become acute.
- The Catawba Nation has established the Two Kings Casino in town at a strategic interchange along I-85, which, when fully complete, is expected to grow into a destination $500 Million resort and entertainment complex luring millions of regional visitors annually.
- In addition, the presence of perhaps the most economically- recoverable and significant lithium-producing spodumene deposits in the U.S. (in and near Kings Mountain) has presented the Albemarle corporation with the possibility that Kings Mountain will be at the eye of the economic hurricane soon to propel the Electronic Vehicle battery development and production sector forward.
The City of Kings Mountain is one of the very few U.S municipalities to own and operate its own municipal electric, natural gas, water, and wastewater utilities – assuring new developments needed capacity, competitive rates, immediate responsiveness, and a business-friendly approach.
Downtown Kings Mountain offers a traditional, small-town American Main street feel with newly-installed Streetscape features and a growing hub for restaurants, specialty retailers, arts & culture, and an eclectic mix of events and entertainment.
Multiple, large-scale residential projects, along a growing housing-product mix, along with many light industrial and commercial projects have already been approved and/or are undergoing the review and entitlement process; while the prospect of an ever-growing and expanding pipeline of project proposals looms on the horizon. An entirely new, Unified Development Ordinance (UDO), along with a fully-updated comprehensive land use Master plan were each recently enacted and both still require major tweaks in collaboration with community stake-holders.
The new, Development Services Director will need to immediately immerse himself/herself into this environment and assess staffing and organizational needs and capacities, while also responding to all of the ongoing development demands, yet in the process build connection and respectful, trusting relationships with community members, developers, and stake-holders. The successful candidate will demonstrate a calm, deliberative objective demeanor along with excellent decision-making and public presentation skills. A commitment to a reasonable tenure is preferred.
Application should be made at www.cityofkm.com
(Salary range: $96,000 - $114,500)
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of four (4) years of progressively responsible professional experience in municipal Land-use planning, community development, zoning, and/or economic development and redevelopment with a desired emphasis on multi-disciplinary, development services experience.
- Minimum of two (2) years of supervisory and administrative management experience in support of or coordinating the above-detailed functions.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree or higher, from an accredited college or university, with a major in urban planning, civil engineering, public administration, or closely-related field.
- A Graduate degree in a similarly applicable field is highly desirable and preferred.
- Must possess significant background, knowledge, and experience in the concepts, approaches and tools utilized in pursuing and structuring economic development and redevelopment projects. Should further understand deal structuring, public-private partnership dynamics, and municipal incentive evaluation and packaging.
- Possession of AICP certification preferred.
- Possession of IEDC CED Certification preferred.
Possession of a valid and current driver’s license required.