Advance your Career as a Deputy City Manager
The City of High Point, NC is seeking an adaptive leader with excellent strategic thinking and community engagement background to be their next Deputy City Manager (DCM). With the ability to lead competent staff and work effectively within the Council-Manager form of government, the successful Deputy City Manager will have a track record of community engagement and experience with a high volume of development/redevelopment, infrastructure, utility, and sustainability initiatives. The position is open due to the pending retirement of a long-time deputy manager.
About the Organization: The City of High Point operates under a Council/Manager form of government with more than 1,400 FTE employees working across 25 departments. In addition to traditional municipal departments, High Point is a member of ElectriCities and also has a fixed route transit system, a City library, museum, and theater. Holding a AAA bond rating and multiple GFOA budget awards the annual operating budget is more than $416.3 million across all funds. The City property tax rate is $.6475 per $100 of assessed evaluation. The core values of Integrity, Creativity, Helpfulness, Responsibility, Partnership, and Balance are the basis for actions and decisions. They are the compass for accomplishing the City’s mission, vision, and objectives. The City supports community engagement and offers multiple ways for the community to become involved and stay informed with 12 Advisory Boards and Commissions.
About the Position: Reporting to the City Manager, the Deputy City Manager and two Assistant City Managers participate in orchestrating strategic City priorities by engaging with a wide variety of staff, elected officials, citizens, citizen groups, and the business community. The experience and credentialing of the successful candidate are equally focused on both project management and leadership skills with a large and diverse portfolio of infrastructure, operating and administration departments. A successful DCM candidate must have experience that illustrates a track record of integrity and innovation, regardless of their portfolio.
A key responsibility will be leading the many capital projects through various stages while ensuring collaboration across departments and stakeholders to achieve positive outcomes aligned with strategic priorities. Successful candidates leverage excellent interpersonal, project management, and operational skills with a track record of working effectively within the Council-Manager form of government, leading talented and committed staff within their portfolio areas, working with leadership and the community to manage the challenges of rapid growth effectively and consistent with City values, and, working with a diverse and participatory community, regional partners, and the Council to carry out strategic priorities.
The next Deputy City Manager must be an expert in effectively listening to stakeholders, balance competing interests and finding effective solutions to challenges. Staff development, building a culture of collaborative innovation, and consensus-building are key leadership principles. The City is looking for a strategic thinker who is not merely consultative but truly a collaborative implementor to ensure the application of systematic and strategic project management principles that identify metrics, create action plans, and achieve delivery of project outcomes on time and on budget.
Key Priorities for the next Deputy City Manager include:
- skillful application of ethics, transparency, and equitable community investment lenses from project conception through decision-making and implementation;
- proactively communicating and engaging with a diversity of stakeholders including citizens, staff, non-portfolio department directors, Council members, and regional partners, in a manner that promotes the values of transparency, accountability, and understanding;
- partnering with others on continued Downtown development initiatives;
- preparing infrastructure and operational departments for strategic and robust recruitment, retention, and succession planning to ensure continuity in the departments; and,
- leading projects related to infrastructure and the Capital Investment Program.
Salary and Benefits: The hiring range is $130,158 to $180,000. The City offers an outstanding benefits program. Information about the City’s benefits can be found by clicking here (or by copying and pasting: https://www.highpointnc.gov/930/Benefits). There is a residency requirement within a negotiated timeframe after appointment.
Minimum Qualifications: A minimum of 10 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in government or business management with at least five years of administrative and supervisory responsibility (assistant/deputy manager or manager preferred) in complex, interdepartmental operations in a community of comparable size is required along with a bachelor’s degree while a master’s degree or higher is strongly preferred with coursework in public or business administration or a related field. Supplemental education, training, certification, or accreditation is preferred.
The Successful Candidates:
- cuts through the jargon of complex topics to make essential information about City projects accessible to all stakeholders;
- is knowledgeable of principles and practices of public administration to include planning; administration and supervision; and preparing and implementing proposals which affect the operations of City government;
- effectively cultivates an outstanding workforce through development and management of staff talent including experience in leadership development and succession planning;
- has an excellent track record in establishing and maintaining working relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholders such as City staff, City Council Members and other public officials, business and community leaders, and the general public through demonstrated personal community engagement;
- is skilled in leading cross-functional and cross-departmental teams using a collaborative, team-based style to resolve complex problems and capitalize on opportunities with creative solutions;
- commits to the highest level of customer service and community collaboration by routinely seeking stakeholder input to effectively achieve City goals;
- thinks strategically and is experienced in articulating visions, cultivating buy-in, and implementing a Board’s strategic priorities;
- possesses executive-level skills in interpersonal and written communications, strategic planning, finance and budget development, execution of business plans, and intergovernmental relations;
- values and thrives on accountability through varied means including metrics and performance measures while holding high expectations of self and others and being a highly effective leader; and,
- proactively monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures against metrics.
To apply, go to https://agency.governmentjobs.com/developmentalassociates/default.cfm and click on the Deputy City Manager – High Point link. To learn more about the selection process, visit Client Openings (or copy and paste into your browser: https://developmentalassociates.com/client-openings/). All applications must be fully completed and submitted online via the Developmental Associates application portal – NOT the City portal, nor any other external website; it is not sufficient to send only a resume. Resumes and cover letters can be uploaded with the application. Applicants should apply by October 10th 2021. Finalists will participate in virtual interviews and skill assessments on November 4-5, 2021. Interviews with the City Manager and leadership team will follow at a subsequent time. All inquiries should be emailed to [email protected]. The City of High Point is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Developmental Associates, LLC is managing the recruitment and selection process for this position.