BURKE COUNTY MANAGER
Burke County is centrally located in the foothills of North Carolina and has an estimated population
of 90,750. It is governed by a Board of Commissioners made up of five members. The County
operates under a board-manager form of government.
The County seeks an innovative solutions-oriented professional to join its team as County
Manager. This position is appointed by the Board of Commissioners and works collaboratively
with the Board to facilitate its vision for the community. The County Manager leads a team
consisting of two Deputy Managers to carry out goals, objectives, and policies established by the
Board of Commissioners. The position recommends and administers an annual budget, oversees
844 employees, and holds executive-level responsibility for day-to-day management of the
organization. The ideal candidate will have significant and successful local government experience
and a demonstrated passion for public service that supports the vision and values of Burke
• Works to continually improve County services through visioning, strategic planning, policy
development, execution, and program evaluation.
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other governmental agencies,
civic and community groups, professional associates, supervisors, volunteers, governmental
bodies, other community agencies, and the public.
• Represents the County’s interests in working with a broad range of collaborative partners to
resolve often complex and sensitive issues.
• Maintains community visibility through active participation on boards and committees
impactful to Burke County government and the local community.
• Directs, coaches, and evaluates Department Directors and other staff, motivating staff to
think creatively and ensuring programs align with overarching policy objectives and operate
effectively and efficiently.
• Reinforces value of progressive work environment that fosters excellence in public service by
deliberately cultivating current knowledge of professional trends and best practices.
Commensurate with experience.
A Master of Public or Business Administration degree with extensive experience in governmental
management as Manager, Deputy Manager or Assistant Manager in a County or City organization
is required; or any combination of comparable education, training, and experience which
demonstrates the required skills and knowledge to perform the duties of the position.
• Integrity, high moral standards, respect, professional demeanor, and transparency.
• Must be willing to work collaboratively and maintain effective relationships with the Board of
• Must be willing to advance the vision of the Board of Commissioners.
• Must be willing to work collaboratively and maintain effective relationships with County staff,
advisory boards and committees, partner municipalities, state and federal regulatory agencies
and institutions, vendors, and consultants.
• Independent and self-directed initiative and drive, along with the appetite to take on new
challenges over time.
• Excellent communication skills are a must, including the ability to communicate with a
community that encompasses urban and rural interests and represents forward-looking and
creative ideas from a well-educated, diverse community.
• Ability to think analytically to prioritize work, make data driven decisions, meet established
deadlines, delegate duties, and attend to details as appropriate.
• Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate by example with excellent interpersonal and
consensus-building skills, inspiring staff to high performance.
• Exceptional organizational and time management skills, accompanied by a strong capability
to prioritize and manage multiple projects and assignments simultaneously.
• Strong creative, analytical, and critical thinking skills.
• Valid driver’s license with a safe driving record.
• Willingness to establish residency in Burke County within reasonable timeframe after
APPLICATION PROCESS: Direct cover letter and resume to:
Human Resources Director
Burke County Human Resources Department
P.O. Box 219 (28680)
200 Avery Avenue
Morganton, NC 28655