Do you enjoy working on a variety of projects and positively impacting multiple communities? Eastern
Carolina Council of Governments (ECC), located in New Bern, NC, is seeking a qualified individual to fill a
Community Planner position. ECC serves a nine-county region that has a land mass of 5,710 square miles
and a population of approximately 644,000 people. The successful candidate will be actively involved in
a wide variety of planning work that will require working with local elected officials, staff members, and
citizens on a regular basis. Position duties may include, but are not limited to:
• Drafting and amending land use controls, official maps, and various types of plans.
• Conducting specialized research; gathering and analyzing relevant data for projects;
documenting services and benefits; drafting feasibility reports.
• Administering and/or supporting federal and state awarded grant projects.
• Providing technical assistance in specialty areas of work to local government units, including
grant and loan applications, planning and zoning, water and wastewater planning, American
Rescue Plan, and disaster and recovery /resilience planning.
• Providing GIS assistance for economic development, transportation, environmental, utility,
and other planning projects.
• Providing planning and zoning support to municipalities and counties.
• Reviewing applications for permits and advising communities on approval; advising public on
design and compliance issues; meeting on-site with citizens and developers to review codes and
• Making presentations to groups; conducting public meetings.
The Community Planner position requires traveling within ECC’s nine-county region, attending some
evening meetings, and occasional overnight travel. ECC values professional growth and development
and therefore, supports opportunities to obtain and maintain professional certifications and attend
planning conferences. Excellent benefits package including 401k and LGERS. Hiring range starts at
$45,934; salary DOQ.
The ideal applicant will be a motivated individual with demonstrated leadership ability and excellent
communication, writing, oral presentation, and organizational/time management skills. This position
requires the planner to work on a variety of different tasks, often at the same time. Graduation from a
four-year college or university with a degree in Planning or related field and experience in municipal,
county, or regional planning or in work in the technical field of expertise as a consultant or professional;
or an equivalent combination of education and experience is desired