Serves as a community advocate, a community and economic developer, a data analyst and researcher, and a grant administrator. Work includes assisting existing businesses with expansion opportunities, attracting and retaining new businesses to Warren County, marketing and outreach work for Warren County, grant writing and administration for community and economic development projects, data collection on the local economy. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Community and Economic Development Director.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
Providing support for community and economic development projects; leading projects as assigned related to community and economic development
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Conduct research, compile and analyze data as needed for all departments (related to economic & community development)
- Assist in overseeing performance measurement for the Community and Economic Development Office
- Assist in evidence-based support for grant applications
- Assist in grant writing efforts across departments related to community and economic development
- Support grant administration
- Develop surveys and research tools as needed pertaining to community and economic development
- Assist in strategic planning and implementation
- Assist in community and economic development projects as needed
- Assist in running social media platforms for the Community and Economic Development Office, as well as website updates as needed
- Conduct outreach to existing businesses
- Direct new businesses and entrepreneurs to helpful resources
- Assist in maintaining a database on existing sites for economic development
- Assist with community and economic development budget tracking as needed
- Assist with administrative needs of the Community and Economic Development Office
- Takes notes and prepares minutes for Economic Development Commission
- Serve on County committees as needed
- Other duties as required (we're all on the same team)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of the local community and region is preferred; ability to research and understand economic and community development concepts and practices; ability to research and understand local, state, and federal laws related to community and economic development; ability to research and understand concepts and laws related to land use and planning and zoning; must be a team player willing to take on tasks aligned with the strategic vision of Warren County and the Community and Economic Development Office; punctual and reliable; effective communicator with both public speaking skills and written skills; can work independently with minimal direction; values rural communities and are community-oriented with great inter-personal skills; eager to serve the greater public, including a diversity of backgrounds and lifestyles; pragmatic and logical, but also excited by innovation and thinking outside of the box.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Preference is for a candidate to have graduated from an accredited four-year college or university and have at least two years of work experience related to this role. There is a desire for a degree in business, economics, planning, or public administration. There is a desire for a candidate that has previously worked in local government. Open to considering other combinations of education and experience.
Possession of an appropriate driver's license valid in the State of North Carolina; considerable knowledge of word processing and the Microsoft Office Suite; considerable knowledge of social media platforms.
Visit https://www.warrencountync.com/166/Human-Resources for more info.
Writing sample optional, but encouraged.