DST is looking for a Coach Team Member. This is a full-time position (40 hours per week) with State Benefits, including health insurance, paid vacation, paid sick time, paid holidays, as well as retirement.
This position will function as a member of a two-person COACH team that provides intense onsite technical assistance and training to distressed and struggling units of local government. This technical assistance and training includes, but is not limited to, the areas of finance office operations, proper internal controls, budgeting, purchasing, governmental accounting, debt management, grants management, and communication with elected officials and local government auditors. The position will teach local government employees and governing officials best practices and industry standards as well as legislative requirements.
Position is expected to:
- Be a leader and expert consultant to represent Fiscal Management Section of the State & Local Government Division in meetings with local elected leaders, finance officials, auditors, and management, presenting financial information and training. Represent the Treasurer on behalf of the agency.
- Work with teams fielded by partner organizations, such as the NC League of Municipalities (NCLM), NC Association of County Commissioners (NCACC), Southeast Rural Community Assistance Project (SERCAP) and Rural Water to address units’ needs.
- Work collaboratively with other Unit Assistance staff and Section Director to oversee the unit assistance monitoring program developed through the Fiscal Accountability agreement process, determining which units should have agreements in place and the content that should ultimately be included in those agreements.
- Document in systems and communicate with Fiscal Management the progress that is being made in the local entities including data as applicable to benchmark progress; assess needs of entities and determine level of assistance needed going forward.
- Make recommendations to Fiscal Management Section about units of local governments that need to be placed on or be removed from the Unit Assistance List, based on the audit review and other available information.
- Keep Fiscal Management informed of trends identified as work with local governments progresses, possibly identifying the need for further published guidance to be developed or other training to be provided to address developing areas of weakness.
The Department of State Treasurer's campus is located at 3200 Atlantic Avenue in Raleigh, and is surrounded by many shopping centers and restaurants, has access to a 24-hour 7-day a week free gym on the campus, and offers a competitive benefit package, and has free employee parking.
The State and Local Government Finance Division manages the sale and delivery of most debt issued by the State and by local governments and public authorities and monitors the repayment this debt. The Division provides fiscal oversight of local governments and public authorities in North Carolina regarding their financial condition and compliance with governmental accounting standards, North Carolina General Statutes, and best practices in government finance. The Division serves as staff to the Local Government Commission (LGC), the North Carolina Capital Facilities Finance Agency (NCCFFA), and the Debt Affordability Advisory Committee (DAAC) in fulfilling their respective statutory functions and responsibilities.
**This position has a recruitment range of $50,357 - $88,125**
- Thorough knowledge of the NC Local Government Budget and Fiscal Control Act and School Budget and Fiscal Control Act, as well as other applicable federal and State laws and regulations related to finance, and how those statutes apply to local governments in NC.
- Thorough knowledge of current accounting and financial management systems.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze a local government’s financial data to ascertain the fiscal health of the entity.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate the results of the analysis and propose solutions to improve an entity’s fiscal condition to the governing board and the management of a local government or public authority.
- Demonstrated ability to work with local government finance staff at their level of knowledge and provide meaningful and effective feedback on their business processes; sometimes exercising supervisory functions.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment and to work independently with little direct supervision on a regular basis.
- Strong PC skills, particularly with Microsoft Office suite, particularly Excel and PowerPoint.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
This position is a remote, home-based position; however, the position will work in an assigned region, assisting local governments, cities and county municipalities in their region. Frequent day travel within their region and occasionally outside the region will be required. Travel will be greater than 20% of time and person will be reimbursed for travel.
*PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ON-LINE USING THIS WEBSITE *
This position is subject to a criminal history background check through CastleBranch. In addition, one or more of the following may also be reviewed, depending on the nature and requirements of the position: employment history, professional references, credit history, and educational verification (i.e., degree, license, or official transcript). Foreign degrees may require an official evaluation for U.S. equivalency. Applicants will be required to pass the background check to the satisfaction of the North Carolina Department of State Treasurer. All offers of employment are conditional until the satisfactory completion of the background check.
This office uses the Merit-Based Recruitment and Selection Plan to fill positions with highly qualified individuals. All applicants must complete and submit a State application for employment using the NEOGOV Online Job Application System (https://www.governmentjobs.com/) for the State of North Carolina. To receive credit for your work history and credentials, you must list the information on the online application form. Any information omitted from the application cannot be considered in screening for qualifying credit. Attached or incorporated resumes (including Text resumes on application form) WILL NOT be used for screening for qualifying credit. Please make sure you complete the application in full.
"See Resume" or "See Attachment" will NOT be accepted. Other attachments will also be accepted, but not used in screening for qualifying credit.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the phone. To check the status of your application, please log in to your account and click "Application Status". It is not necessary to contact the Human Resources Office to check the status of an application.
If you are having technical issues submitting your application, please call the NeoGov Help Line at 855-524-5627. If there are any questions about this posting, other than your application status, please email Department of State Treasurer at [email protected].