GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
The Chief Information Officer (CIO) has complete ownership of and accountability for the establishment and execution of the enterprise-wide technology needs, operations, and strategy and ensures its alignment with Guilford County’s organizational strategy and the delivery of capabilities required to achieve organizational and community success. The CIO will participate in and contribute to Guilford County’s overall operations and strategy development, bringing current knowledge and future vision to leverage information and technology in business model design, business processes re-engineering, operational improvements, and support for the organization’s mission.
The CIO will prepare and make presentations to County leadership, the Board of Commissioners, and members of the community. The Chief Information Officer, in a collaborative and structured fashion, helps set priorities and sequence for Guilford County’s projects. The position also launches new programs, implements new systems, integrates new vendor solutions, and provides direction to cross-functional teams. The CIO works across all departments on major initiatives and leads by influence and clear communication.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF CLASS
- Sets the vision and strategy of Information Services (IS) to foster business and mission-oriented culture and mindset.
- Directs the development of the IS enterprise strategy and project portfolio and roadmap, based on Guilford County’s strategy and business needs.
- Serves as a trusted advisor; builds and maintains relationships with other County employees to understand business needs; ensures cost-effective delivery of IS services to meet those needs, responds with agility to changing business priorities; Uses influence and negotiation to create collaboration to enable cost-effective and innovative shared solutions in achievement of business goals.
- Participates in the guidance and direction of the organization.
- Stays current on new technologies; provides direction to the IS team on emerging technologies; provides strategic direction in the IS organization's innovation efforts and role in experimenting with new solutions to take advantage of those opportunities.
- Provides strategic direction and oversight for the design, development, operation, and support of IS systems, including enterprise architecture management, application management, security and risk management, and infrastructure and operations support management.
- Partners with HR and the IS leadership team to continually look for leading-edge and innovative solutions to the recruitment, development, and retention of the IS workforce.
- Directs the management of the administrative contracts for information services vendors.
- Directs the development of IS vendor sourcing; provides executive oversight for vendor partnership and management.
- Designs the IS organization and staff accordingly. Develops and maintains a workforce with the appropriate mix of business knowledge and technical skills required to achieve business objectives; ensures the core IS functions are reliable, stable, and efficient.
- Directs the development and provides oversight and control of the annual operating and capital budgets for IS to ensure consistency with the strategic objectives and priorities of the plan.
- Provides leadership, coaching, and direction to the IS leadership team and staff.
- Provides overall direction for all information services activities for the organization.
- Other projects and duties as assigned.
$127,267 - $202,941 depending on qualifications
A Bachelor’s Degree in a related field with a combination of education and experience that would provide the necessary knowledge, skills, and competencies to perform the essential duties and tasks of this position OR a bachelor’s degree in a related field with eight (8) years of progressively responsible management experience in Information Technology OR a master’s degree in a related field and five (5) years of progressively responsible management experience in Information Technology.
Demonstrated experience working with public officials, industry representatives, customer groups, and technical experts with demonstrated knowledge of strategic planning and implementation is preferred. Successful project management experience in important and substantial projects is also preferred. Education and experience should be clearly documented with demonstrated linkages to the essential duties and tasks of this position
In order to be considered, please submit an application at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/guilfordnc
Please contact Ray Willis at 336-641-3057 or [email protected] if you have any questions.