The Edgecombe County Manager is accepting applications for a full-time Chief Financial Officer. This person will perform complex professional work, developing and maintaining financial records and reports and assisting all county departments with fiscal procedures. He/she will: lead efforts aimed at the efficient and effective management of the County's fiscal resources through sound policies and procedures, appropriate internal controls, compliance with federal and state regulations, and debt and risk management best practices; ensure accurate reporting of the County's financial condition; collaborate with all levels of the organization to identify, develop, and implement activities that ensure fiscal stewardship in support of service delivery; and oversee the operations of the Finance Department to ensure that it aligns with the business objectives and fiscal policies of the organization.
- Plan, organize and supervise the operations of the Finance Department.
- Serve on the County Manager’s Executive team and provide executive direction, leadership and oversight of projects, initiatives, and personnel.
- Implement organizational changes to strengthen operations, guide staff priorities and goals, administer the department’s annual evaluation process, and address personnel matters.
- Engage staff to deliver excellent customer service through training, modeling, and evaluating.
- Lead the development, implementation, and administration of the County’s financial policies, procedures, and business processes that guide, monitor, and record financial transactions.
- Collaborate with the County Manager to develop, implement, and manage the County’s annual budget.
- Advise the County Manager in setting policy for County operations and organization-wide budget development.
- Develop, prepare, and present financial materials to County leadership, incorporating business insight and communicating recommendations to achieve current and future goals.
The salary range is $71,168 - $116,839 with excellent benefits that total over $11,000 annually in addition to a 2% county contribution to 401k. The starting salary is determined by the qualifications and experience of the candidate.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Comprehensive knowledge of generally accepted accounting standards, financial management practices, internal controls, and fund-based accounting. Possess excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with internal and external customers, management, the Board of Commissioners, and external agencies. Strong problem solving and analytical skills with application in complex organizational situations. Attention to detail with a devotion to accuracy and data integrity. Proficiency in current and commonly used computer, software and applications for financial management, communication, and data management. Thorough knowledge of applicable County, State and Federal policies.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or related field. Master’s Degree is preferred. Five years of progressive leadership experience in governmental finance or organization-wide financial management, including two years of supervisory experience. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered. North Carolina Local Government Finance Officers Certification is required within one year of hire, contingent upon the availability of the courses.
Must have the ability to be bonded and possess a valid driver’s license in the State of North Carolina. This position also requires residency in Edgecombe County within one year of hire.
In the event of an emergency, as determined by the County Manager or designee, participation in preparedness and response operations should be expected. Employee may be required to fill a temporary assignment in a role different from standard duties, work hours and/or work location in preparation for, during and after the emergency. Employee may also be required to participate in relevant exercises and regular preparedness training.