Budget, Strategy and Performance Analyst
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Directs and controls Burke County’s budgeting and financial forecasting activities.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
Reports to the Budget, Strategy and Performance Director. May be involved in projects and special assignments. Work is performed in accordance with established County financial procedures, local ordinances and North Carolina General Statutes governing the responsibilities of local government fiscal operations. Work is evaluated through conferences, reports, and an independent audit of financial records and procedures. Must be able and willing to work extended schedules as needed to carry out the financial management and supervisory functions for a variety of county programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Assists the Budget, Strategy and Performance Director in:
- Carrying out policies and goals set by the Board of County Commissioners.
- Developing the annual budget, the strategy and performance management program, and various organization-wide process improvement initiatives.
- Assessing needs, establishing priorities, developing objectives and strategies, monitoring progress and making changes when necessary, and maintaining effective communication with management and staff.
- Working closely and frequently with management and departmental leadership and representing the department in various capacities, including internal and external communications and meetings.
- Overseeing the development and implementation of organizational training for budget, strategy, performance management, and process improvements initiatives. Assist in the professional development of department staff.
- Seeking ways to use innovation to improve current departmental and County procedures.
- Reviewing and monitoring departmental reports, communications, and services to ensure consistency, quality, and transparency.
- Monitoring and analyzing performance against budgets.
- Developing and implementing tools and reporting used for planning, forecasting, monitoring, and decision support.
- Presenting budget data to senior management.
- Creating functional strategies and specific objectives, and develops budgets/policies/procedures to support the functional infrastructure.
- Preparing and analyzing budgets, financial reports, investment of funds, and posting of revenues.
- Coordinating the budgeting process with the County Manager and Department Heads—receiving and reviewing budget requests from departments and agencies for funding, analyzing information and making recommendations regarding amounts of funding for departments and other organizations; preparing proposed budget documents for review by the Budget, Strategy and Performance Director.
- Entering fiscal year budget in County’s accounting system; monitoring the annual budget.
- Attending various board meetings.
Additional Job Duties
- Performs related duties as required.
Burke County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability in employment or the provision of services.
$72,493.96 - $92,432.66
RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION GUIDELINES
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of North Carolina General Statutes and of local ordinances governing County budgeting and public financial practices and procedures.
- Ability to supervise, organize, prioritize, and evaluate the work of subordinates.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, department heads, governmental officials, employee groups, and others.
- Ability to conduct long range fiscal budget planning.
- Accuracy and thoroughness in the analysis and preparation of financial records and reports.
- Ability to present information clearly and concisely in both oral and written form.
- Must be able and willing to work extended schedules as needed to carry out the financial management and supervisory functions for a variety of county programs.
DESIRABLE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Typically requires 5+ years of budgeting experience, and graduation from a four-year college or university, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience. Master’ Degree in Business Administration or Public Administration desirable, but not required.
Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Apply online at https://burkenc.org/jobs, or directly through email to [email protected] Completed applications should provide a complete work history, including a detailed and thorough list of job duties.