The Town of Garner seeks a thoughtful, tech-savvy, and service-oriented leader for its next Assistant Town Manager. This executive will be a partner to the Town Manager and staff as well as an effective contributor to a strong Council-Staff relationship with a commitment to the Community’s goals.
Successful candidates will have a track record of working effectively within the Council-Manager form of government, leading talented staff, managing the challenges of growth in alignment with town values. They will have experience working with a diverse and participatory community, regional partners, and the Council to carry out the community’s strategic priorities.
Operating under a non-partisan Council-Manager form of government, the Town Manager reports to a Mayor and five Council members. The Assistant Town Manager reports to the Town Manager.
With AAA bond ratings from bond rating agencies and excellent stewardship of tax dollars, the Town is regarded as a fiscally responsible and well-managed government. The FY 21-22 overall budget is $43.2M. The property tax rate is $.5121 cents per $100 of assessed valuation. A team of 190 employees, not including part-time and seasonal staff, serve the citizens of Garner across 11 departments. The Town is currently completing capital projects from its 2013 $35.7M bond related to infrastructure, revitalization, and innovation. The Town is planning a $69M bond referendum for fall 2021. Current and future plans for Garner are guided by the strategic plan which outlines goals.
As one of two Assistant Town Managers (ATM) reporting to the Town Manager, the experience and credentialing of the successful candidate is equally focused on both technical and leadership skills. The current portfolio for this ATM position includes operating departments such as Parks and Recreation and Public Works and services departments like IT and Budget; however, the final portfolio will depend on the skills and strengths of the person hired. The ATM will become a member of the Budget Team overseeing a budget of $43.2M and committed and competent staff, the successful candidate is an energetic, proactive collaborator and coordinator of people and tasks with excellent interpersonal, project management, and operational skills.
Key priorities for the next Assistant Town Manager are:
- working with the leadership team and Council to manage development and land use effectively in a community that is land rich consistent with strategic plans;
- leading projects related to the Capital Investment Program, including public works, stormwater, and parks and recreation;
- evaluating IT equipment and technology needs against best practices to determine what upgrades may be needed in alignment with Town strategic goals;
- supervising a newly created CIP budget analyst position and identifying position priorities, and desired outcomes; and,
- identifying and seeking grant opportunities to increase accomplishment of fiscal goals.
The full salary range is $96,117 to 149,947. The starting salary for the selected candidate will be determined by qualifications, background, and experience. To learn more about why Garner is a great place to live and work, click here (or copy and paste the following into your browser: https://www.developmentalassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Garner-HR-cover-sheet_FINAL_2-.pdf).
The successful ATM candidate will have a minimum of 5-7 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in municipal management with at least three years at a department head level role or above. Experience as a Town Manager or Assistant is preferred. A minimum of a bachelor’s degree is required while a master’s degree is strongly preferred.
The Successful Candidate:
- is a progressive leader with a proven track record in innovative municipal management;
- is skilled in leading cross-functional teams using a collaborative, team-based style to resolve complex problems and capitalize on opportunities with creative solutions;
- is knowledgeable of principles and practices of public administration to include planning; administration and supervision; and preparing and implementing proposals which affect the operations of Town government;
- is knowledgeable of the practices of the planning for and the operations and maintenance of public infrastructure including water/sewer systems, stormwater systems, parks and recreational areas, and streets/sidewalk networks, or has the interest and ability to get up to speed in these areas to ensure effective supervision of these areas;
- has an excellent track record in establishing and maintaining working relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholders such as Town staff, Council Members and other public officials, business and community leaders, the development community, and the general public through demonstrated personal community engagement;
- is decisive and willing to make decisions while keeping key stakeholders informed;
- is resilient in the face of challenges and seeks creative solutions to problems;
- is keenly analytical and a critical thinker while being accessible and personable;
- commits to the highest level of customer service and community collaboration by routinely seeking stakeholder input to effectively achieve Town goals;
- possesses executive-level skills in interpersonal and written communications, strategic planning, finance and budget development, critical thinking, administration, and intergovernmental relations;
- effectively cultivates an outstanding workforce through development and management of staff talent;
- thrives in a high accountability culture to ensure that the Town continues to succeed and meet the expectations of citizens and employees alike; and,
- proactively monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures against performance metrics.
To apply, go to https://agency.governmentjobs.com/developmentalassociates/default.cfm and click on the Assistant Town Manager – Garner link. To learn more about the selection process, visit Client Openings (or copy and paste into your browser: https://developmentalassociates.com/client-openings/). All applications must be fully completed and submitted online via the Developmental Associates application portal – NOT the Town portal, nor any other external website; it is not sufficient to send only a resume. Resumes and cover letters can be uploaded with the application. Applicants should apply by July 25, 2021. Application review begins July 29, 2021. Finalists will participate in virtual skill assessments on September 2-3, 2021. Interviews with the Town Manager and leadership team will follow at a subsequent time. All inquiries should be emailed to [email protected]. The Town of Garner is an Equal Opportunity Employer.