Reopened – New Salary Range
If you have the passion and skills to
- be on the ground floor of defining and leading critical initiatives in Technology, Development and Budget and Capital Project Management,
- work in a collaborative environment dedicated to engagement with internal and external stakeholders,
- devise strategies to position the Town for rapid growth and the community that it will become 10-20 years from now
- leverage expertise and success in leading operational departments; and,
- increase community engagement as a way of doing business,
then this position could be your next career move.
The Town of Garner seeks a thoughtful, tech-savvy, and service-oriented leader for its next Assistant Town Manager. Successful candidates will have a track record of working effectively within the Council-Manager form of government, leading talented staff, managing the challenges of growth in alignment with town values. They will have experience working with a diverse and participatory community, regional partners, and the Council to carry out the community’s strategic priorities.
Operating under a non-partisan Council-Manager form of government, the Town Manager reports to a Mayor and five Council members. The Assistant Town Manager reports to the Town Manager. The FY 21-22 overall budget is $43.2M. A team of 190 employees, not including part-time and seasonal staff, serve the citizens of Garner across 11 departments. The Town is currently completing capital projects from its 2013 $35.7M bond related to infrastructure, revitalization, and innovation. The Town is planning a $69M bond referendum for fall 2021. Current and future plans for Garner are guided by the strategic plan which outlines goals.
As one of two Assistant Town Managers, the experience and credentialing of the successful candidate is equally focused on both technical and leadership skills. The current portfolio for this ATM position includes operating departments such as Parks and Recreation and Public Works and services departments like IT and Budget; however, the final portfolio will depend on the skills and strengths of the person hired.
The full salary range is $111,267 - $173, 582. The starting salary for the selected candidate will be determined by qualifications, background, and experience.
The successful ATM candidate will have a minimum of 5-7 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in municipal management with at least three years at a department head level role or above. Experience as a Town Manager or Assistant is preferred. A minimum of a bachelor’s degree is required while a master’s degree is strongly preferred.
Key priorities for the next Assistant Town Manager are:
- working with the leadership team and Council to manage development and land use effectively in a community that is land-rich consistent with strategic plans;
- leading projects related to the Capital Investment Program, including public works, stormwater, and parks and recreation;
- evaluating IT equipment and technology needs against best practices to determine what upgrades may be needed in alignment with Town strategic goals;
- supervising a newly created CIP budget analyst position and identifying position priorities, and desired outcomes; and,
- identifying and seeking grant opportunities to increase the accomplishment of fiscal goals.
To apply, go to https://agency.governmentjobs.com/developmentalassociates/default.cfm and click on the Assistant Town Manager – Garner link. All applications must be fully completed and submitted online via the Developmental Associates application portal – NOT the Town portal, nor any other external website; it is not sufficient to send only a resume. Resumes and cover letters can be uploaded with the application. Applicants should apply by October 10, 2021. Finalists will participate in virtual skill assessments on November 17-18, 2021. Interviews with the Town Manager and leadership team will follow at a subsequent time. All inquiries should be emailed to [email protected]. The Town of Garner is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Developmental Associates, LLC is managing the recruitment and selection process for this position.