Nature of work & general statement of duties
An employee in this class is responsible for completing a variety of tasks involving matters that are highly sensitive and confidential in nature which require a strong degree of discretion, good judgement, and tact, acting in an executive assistant capacity to the Town Manager. This position performs complex managerial, professional, and administrative work assisting the Town Manager in directing and coordinating municipal government functions, including grants management, capital projects, and general administration. Work involves review, research, and evaluation of data for assigned projects in support of the Town Manager; understand, appreciate, and promote the Town’s values, mission, and goals while representing the Town Manager in responding to a wide range of inquiries from the community; provide outstanding customer service while interacting with a diverse group of public stakeholders including internal contacts at all levels of the organization; prepare reports, make recommendations, and conduct presentations; develop and recommend procedures, policies, and practices; prepare meeting agendas and coordinate related materials; participate in leadership meetings, oversee actions items, and delegate actionable items to staff. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Town Manager.
Hiring Range and Application Process: Hiring range is $55,500 to $65,291 with salary dependent on qualifications and experience and is supplemented by a competitive benefits package. Interested applicants should submit a Town of Sparta Employment Application and Resume to:
Ryan Wilmoth, Town Manager via email: [email protected]
Town of Sparta -or-
PO Box 99
Sparta, NC 28675
Qualifications: Requires graduation from an appropriately accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in public administration, business administration, political science, or other relevant field, with progressive experience in local government leadership preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Proficiency in computer applications, including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. A Master’s Degree in public administration, business administration, or other relevant field desirable. Experience in project management or grant management preferred.
- Possession of a valid NC driver’s license
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of the local, state, and federal laws, principles, practices, methods, rules, and regulations relating to the administration of local government.
- Comprehensive knowledge of related Town policies and ordinances, organizational structure, and financial structure.
- Ability to evaluate operations, including work procedures and processes, to determine their effectiveness and efficiency; develop and recommend operational alternatives.
- Ability to meet and deal courteously with the public, exhibiting extraordinary professionalism and customer service skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and apply effective leadership and supervisory practices, including effective communication and motivational skills.
- Ability to adapt and respond quickly to rapidly changing priorities and business environment in order to meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to maintain a welcoming and inclusive workplace through positive modeling, mentoring, fostering a culture of respect for all, and valuing the differences and contributions of all team members.
- Ability to conduct detailed analytical evaluations and studies and to prepare related reports, presentations and recommendations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors and peers and deal effectively with the public.