Town of Wendell, North Carolina
Small Town, Big Charm Community Seeking Assistant Planning Director
The Town of Wendell is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Assistant Planning Director. This position performs administrative and professional land-use planning work within the Town’s Planning Department. Work is performed under the Planning Director and requires motivation, independent judgment, and the ability to exercise discretion in duties’ performance. An employee in this class performs administrative, and technical land-use planning work to coordinate guidance and regulation of the growth and development of the Town of Wendell and its Extraterritorial Jurisdiction.
The Planning Department consists of five (5) full-time staff and has a strategic focus to oversee and encourage growth in Wendell. All new residential, commercial, and industrial development are reviewed by the department to ensure consistency with Wendell's short-term and long-range growth plans, policies, and ordinances. The ideal candidate must exhibit the initiative to promote sound growth and development, preserving traditional small-town values, and balancing the needs of a diverse citizenry in a changing economic landscape. Effective community education, problem-solving, and flexibility are critical to delivering effective customer services to stakeholders. The Assistant Director will be responsible for ensuring compliance with the Town’s ordinances, transportation, and land use plans. With over 2M square feet of commercial space and 3000 residential units in process, Wendell is positioned to take advantage of the projected quick growth in the next 10 years. Check out current projects here: https://www.townofwendell.com/departments/planning/projects-initiatives/current-projects.
Key Priorities of the Assistant Planning Director will include:
- Coordinating the Town’s Technical Review Committee (TRC) related to zoning, subdivision, and site plan review. Ensuring compliance with the Town's ordinances, transportation, and land use plans.
- Reviews large and/or complex development projects for conformance with the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO).
- Communicates with applicants, staff, partner agencies, and residents on development.
- Working with and assisting residents and businesses on various land use planning policies and Town ordinances.
- Providing staff assistance to the Town's Planning Board, Board of Adjustment, and Town Board.
- Managing the Planning Department in the absence of the Planning Director.
- Represents Town as needed on regional committees and/or other groups.
- Prepares UDO Text Amendments with assistance from planning staff
- Coordinates special projects and grant applications as directed by the Planning Director.
Salary range is $66,792 - $100,189 with excellent benefits.
- Benefits include:
- Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance
- Vacation, Sick, Holiday, and other leave
- Straight compensation time for exempt employees
- Local Government Employee Retirement System with 5% Supplemental Retirement.
- Salary commensurate with experience. Residency is not required.
Minimum Qualifications: A bachelor’s degree in urban planning, geography, urban design, public administration, or closely related field is required and considerable professional experience (8+ years) in public sector planning; or an equivalent of education and experience. A master’s degree in urban planning or related field is preferred. AICP certification is preferred.
The Successful Candidate:
- engages in innovative problem solving, seeking win-win solutions while keeping strategic goals in mind;
- is an effective communicator, engages citizens, community groups, staff, and board and council members; and,
- successfully builds partnerships with community, regional and inter-governmental stakeholder groups;
- embraces engagement in the community to clearly and proactively communicate town values and initiatives to stakeholders;
- is knowledgeable about comprehensive planning, transportation planning, land use management, UDO development, affordable housing, open space, and greenways planning, permitting, and other critical planning competencies;
- understands state and local government zoning rules and regulations;
- has a track record of fostering a climate of excellent customer service;
- values accountability while holding realistic and fair expectations of self and others;
- has experience in navigating the complexities of varying roles (e.g. need for building relationships, seeking consensus, educating stakeholders, clear communication, maintaining and establishing trust).
To apply, go to https://agency.governmentjobs.com/developmentalassociates/default.cfm and click on the Assistant Planning Director – Wendell link. To learn more about the selection process, visit Client Openings (or copy and paste into your browser: https://developmentalassociates.com/client-openings/).
All applications must be fully completed and submitted online via the Developmental Associates application portal – NOT the Town portal, nor any other external website; it is not sufficient to send only a resume. Resumes and cover letters can be uploaded with the application. Applicants should apply by August 22, 2021. Application review begins August 24, 2021.
Finalists will participate in virtual interviews and skill assessments on September 23-24, 2021 which will take 3-4 hours of time – not including preparation. Interviews with the Planning Director, Town Manager, and leadership team will follow at a subsequent time. All inquiries should be emailed to [email protected]. The Town of Wendell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The recruitment and selection process is being managed by Developmental Associates, LLC.