Centralina Regional Council seeks an experienced economic development practitioner to serve as the Assistant Director of Community Economic Development. Centralina’s Community Economic Development Department is a division within Centralina Regional Council and serves a dual role in supporting the organization’s mission of expanding opportunity and improving quality of life. Firstly, the Department serves local governments in the region by providing technical assistance, staff and expertise to improve housing, public infrastructure and downtown revitalization. Secondly, it provides economic development policy planning and grant administration services under the arm of the Centralina Economic Development District, a public-private entity created to empower local communities by preparing and implementing U.S. Department of Commerce and Economic Development Administration (EDA) strategic plans and grant applications.
The successful candidate will bring expertise in regional economic development planning, experience federal grant administration and a track record of successfully partnering with public and private sector stakeholders. The Assistant Director will lead key regional planning and local technical assistance projects as well as contribute to department strategy execution and participate on Centralina’s management team.
Centralina is an innovative regional planning agency located in Charlotte, NC with a membership that includes 60+ municipal and county governments throughout the Greater Charlotte Region. Centralina works with individual communities and leads major projects that transcend local and regional boundaries. Our mission is to lead regional collaboration and spark local action to expand opportunity and improve quality of life. We do this through creative problem solving, innovative service delivery and support to our local governments.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Assisting in the administration of Federal, State and local programmatic funding that supports local and regional economic development planning and implementation including preparing and managing program funding applications.
- Serving as project manager for assigned departmental projects, ensuring projects are carried to task.
- Providing guidance and advice to Director and Executive Director on overall regional development strategy; developing and formally recommending adoption of new initiatives, funds, priorities, plans and strategies.
- With direction, preparing the annual departmental workplan and budget.
- Providing supervision, training, performance coaching and evaluation and technical guidance to assigned staff.
- Providing guidance and technical assistance to staff leading various other community development activities including housing and code enforcement and other economic planning areas as required.
- Making presentations to the Board of Delegates, Centralina Economic Development District Board and/or its committees on matters significant to community and economic development.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES include but are not limited to:
Considerable knowledge of economic development strategy and best practice as well as, the economic, political, social and geographic factors that affect community and economic development at local and regional scales. Knowledge of federal and state Community Development and Economic Development grant programs, related laws and requirements for program administration, financial reporting and monitoring. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff at the federal, state, regional, local levels and with elected officials. considerable knowledge of project management principles and seeing a project through to completion. Considerable skill in the collection, analysis, and presentation of technical data and program recommendations and strategies and the ability to direct the preparation of comprehensive reports and studies. Skills in public relations and public speaking and ability to express ideas effectively in oral and written forms. Knowledge of management and supervisory principles and practices and the ability to coordinate the work and projects of support staff.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Master’s degree with coursework in Public Administration, Public Policy, Business Administration or City or Regional Planning with experience in regional economic development, community development and at least 7 years of experience of related program development or an equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Professional certification from IEDC’s Certified Economic Developers (CEcDs) program or the American Planning Association’s AICP certification is desired.
Send cover letter and résumé to: [email protected] or to 9815 David Taylor Drive, Suite 100, Charlotte, NC 28262 with the subject line “Assistant Director of CED.” Deadline: Open until filled with rolling interviews. Interested applicants encouraged to apply early. EOE.
Hiring Salary: $75,000 with excellent benefits including NC Local Government Retirement System, 401k contribution, medical, dental, vision and professional development support.