Status: Authorization to fill is subject to approval by Burke County Commissioners via the FY21-22 budget process with an effective date of July 1, 2021.
Description of Work:
The position performs complex, professional, executive-level duties assisting the County Manager. Consults with County Manager regarding functions which include but are not limited to: Operations, Economic Development, Finance/Budgeting, analytical support, and special projects to support Burke County government. Work is performed with considerable independence. Required to read professional literature, attend conferences and workshops, etc. in order to maintain comprehensive and current knowledge of related trends and advances.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Assists the County Manager with the development and implementation of short-term and long-term goals and objectives of the Burke County Commissioners.
- Directly supervise multiple Department Heads, including evaluating staff, assisting in the resolution of employee concerns, coaching, and corrective/disciplinary actions.
- Works with appointed and elected Department Heads to achieve County goals.
- Acts on behalf of County Manager is his/her absence.
- Obtains, analyzes, prepares, and provides information and data to the County Manager and Board of Commissioners as required.
- May provide appropriate responses to citizen and/or media inquiries or concerns, to maintain favorable community relations.
- Communicates with County officials, Burke County departments and employees, local/state agencies, media, contractors, consultants, public, community organizations and all individuals needed to achieve goals.
- Participates in budget development and approval processes. Prepares, reviews, defends, and amends departmental budgets.
- Project Management: utilizes strategy and analysis to develop projects and timelines in order of priority. Assign deadlines and assign appropriate individuals for each action step required and monitor to ensure projects are successfully completed on time.
- Provides status updates on major projects and ensures adherence to costs/budget and deadlines.
- May confer with Department Heads, supervisory boards, County Commissioners, court officials, architects, contractors, etc., in order to resolve disputes.
- Helps ensure applicable codes, rules, regulations, standards, policies, procedures, applicable laws are enforced.
- Maintains strong working relationships with County officials, employees, and the general public.
- May serve on committees and make presentations as needed.
- Assists the County Manager and attorneys representing the County in various legal matters including litigation, land acquisition, bond issues, and other matters.
- Prepare correspondence, informational materials and documents.
- Maintain a variety of records (both computerized and manual) as necessary.
- Reviews, completes, processes, forwards various reports and correspondence, including but not limited to proposed budgets, invoices, specification, architectural drawings, ordinances, statutes, regulations, policies, manuals, and other documentation.
Additional Job Duties
Performs related duties as required.
Salary Range: $90,669.997 - $140,529.29 annually
RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION GUIDELINES
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Excellent relationship-building skills.
- Operates calmly and professionally under pressure.
- Demonstrated collaborative leadership style.
- Politically skilled leader.
- Advanced computer, computer software, spreadsheet, project management skills
Minimum Training and Experience Requirements:
Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Political Science, or closely related field, from an accredited school/university, and six (6+) years’ experience in a responsible, governmental executive level position. Master’s degree strongly preferred. Prior County or Municipal management experience strongly preferred.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to relocate to Burke County within first year of employment.
Application Process: Burke County applications may be obtained at the Human Resources office, located at 200 Avery Ave., Morganton, NC 28655 or online at: www.burkenc.org
Burke County is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, genetic information, or disability in employment or the provision of services.