The Successful Candidate:
- Is a strong leader with a proven track record in innovative large governmental agency management.
- Has extensive knowledge of principles and practices of public administration to include planning; administration and supervision; and preparing and implementing proposals which affect the operations of County government.
- Has an excellent track record in establishing and maintaining working relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholders such as County staff, County Commissioners and other public officials, local Marine Corps constituents, local County schools , business and community leaders, and the general public through demonstrated personal community engagement.
- Is skilled in leading cross-functional teams using a collaborative, team-based style to resolve complex problems and capitalize on opportunities with creative solutions.
- Commits to the highest level of customer service and community collaboration by routinely seeking stakeholder input to effectively achieve County goals.
- Effectively cultivates an outstanding workforce through development and management of staff talent.
- Has a proven track record in developing and supporting staff to achieve excellence through increased training, responsibility, productivity, morale, and retention.
- Communicates excellently, both verbally and in writing, and possesses well-developed interpersonal skills and abilities.
- Will establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and governmental officials.
- Thrives in a culture of high-performance expectations and personal accountability.
- Has a track record of developing high departmental standards.
Essential Functions/Typical Tasks:
Planning, directing, supervising, and implementing the County’s programs and services. (These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Assists the County Manager in the development and implementation of policies and procedures pertaining to various assigned aspects of our County's government; serves as member of County Manager’s executive staff.
- Oversees assigned special projects, ensuring adherence to specified standards, while collaborating with department heads, supervisory boards, County Commissioners, court officials, architects, contractors.
- Directly oversees department heads as assigned; building a team that promotes leadership development, accountability, and effective operational execution within those departments.
- Represents the County in official capacities on regional and county boards and committees, as needed.
- Practices and promotes excellent customer service within all assigned functional areas.
- Promotes a high performing organization, seeking to engage employees at all levels in developing critical thinking, decision-making and leadership skills.
- Provides advice and recommendations to the County Manager and other members of the executive leadership team on process improvement and development of the human and material resources of County government.
- Performs assigned functions as a Disaster Ready Team (DRT) member.
- Performs related tasks as required.
$116,864.97 - $151,924.45 Annually
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Experience in North Carolina local government preferred. The selected candidate will be required to obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license in the state of North Carolina.
There is a residency requirement to relocate within Onslow County limits within 12 months of hire.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: Onslow County Job Opportunities