Description of Work:
This position is responsible for the administration of all components of Burke County Emergency Communications Center, a consolidated Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP), including 911 operations, 911 fund management, technology and administration. An employee in this class is responsible for planning, organizing and supervising the operation of the twenty-four hour emergency communications services for the County. Position directly supervises the 911 Operations Manager, 911 Quality Assurance/Training Manager, 911 Senior Administrative Assistant, and 911 background investigator. Work is performed under the general supervision of the County Manager and is reviewed through conferences and review of records for accuracy of response and community acceptance.
- Administer the department operational budget, approve purchases, gather quotes, and send contracts through the county approval process
- Coordinate with the Finance Director in administering the Emergency Telephone Fund
- Draft, approve, and enforce departmental policies
- Screen, process, and oversee the background process and hiring of new employees
- Assist, oversee, and supervise the 911 Operations Manager and QA/Training Manager with their duties to include but not limited to personnel management and training
- Develop short and long-term plans for equipment replacement, software needs, training, and operations
- Provide staff support to all personnel as needed by maintaining skills necessary to perform basic job duties of all staff as needed
- Addressing staff concerns by taking appropriate corrective action and following up with the appropriate parties
- Stay current in the field by maintaining relationships with local and state officials as it applies to communications and emergency management
- Ensure compliance with the Burke County Personnel Policy and all administrative directives from county administration
$65,715.50 yr. - $101,871.49 yr.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Comprehensive knowledge of the methods and procedures for operating a 911 Communications Center.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Federal and State regulations governing transmission by radio and teletype.
- Thorough knowledge of County ordinances, including personnel policies and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of governmental accounting and budgeting practices.
- Skill in gathering and analyzing data and maintaining and preparing reports.
- Ability to supervise and direct the work of employees.
- Must be able to make quick and effective decisions in a high stress environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with County officials, other municipalities, employees, law enforcement, fire and EMS officials, media and the general public.
DESIRABLE EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Degree in public administration, criminal justice, management or other related field
- Seven (7) years of progressively responsible emergency management, law enforcement, regulatory or related experience
- Three (3) years of management/supervisory level experience or equivalent education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the primary duties of the position.
- Must possess and maintain a Valid NC Driver’s License
- CPR, EMD, DCI, ETC, and other certifications may be required
- Must be/ become and remain a resident of the geographic limits of the county within 12 months from the date of hire
Application Process: Burke County applications can be obtained at the Human Resources office, located at 200 Avery Ave., Morganton NC, 28655, during regular business hours at the address listed above or at the following webpage: www.burkenc.org. Completed applications should provide a complete work history, including a detailed and thorough list of job duties. Incomplete applications will not be processed. Submit application by 5:00 PM on the closing date to Burke County Human Resources in order to receive consideration.