ALC is an immersive personal development program comprised of three parts: one-on-one oral presentation skills coaching, a six-day residential leadership development program, and post-program one-on-one leadership coaching. To apply, visit the UNC School of Government’s website here.
Part 1: Oral Presentation Skills Coaching – The coach comes to you! You will learn how to hold an audience’s attention and begin to craft your personal leadership vision.
Part 2: Residential Leadership Program – In this week-long intensive course, you will create strong and lasting relationships with your fellow participants as you learn together in a series of activities that will strengthen your ability to effectively lead and govern. Sessions are held each day and most evenings.
Part 3: Post-program Leadership Coaching – An experienced coach will help you interpret the feedback you received from your multi-rater leadership assessments. This personal leadership coaching will help you delve further into your own behaviors and practices in a way that strengthens your capacity to lead others.
The Goal: Enable you to become an extraordinary and inspiring leader in your community, region, and the state
The Vision: Form a dynamic and sustainable local elected leadership network across the state
What to expect:
• Improve your ability to inspire others to work toward a shared vision
• Develop deeper insights into what it means to lead and govern in the public sector
• Reflect on leadership as a skill to be learned and a relationship to be nurtured
• Learn to observe and adapt to others’ communication styles to form more effective relationships
What we expect from you:
• Complete all advance assignments
• Commit to spending a week in Chapel Hill Feb. 6-11,2021
• Attend and participate in all events
• Share with others and respect differences
• Be fully present
The program is limited to 24 participants. Any experienced local elected leader is encouraged to apply, with preference being given to those who have served more than one term of office.