Mental Health Reform
- Presentation recording: Reducing the Number of Individuals with Mental Illness in County Jails | Presentation files (from February 2015 NACo Legislative Conference)
- Presentation recording: Status of Mental Health in North Carolina (October 18, 2013)
- Workshop recording: Mental Health Reform: The Only Constant Is Change (Aug. 22, 2013)
- Courtney Cantrell: Assessing Provider Capacity, Service Gaps and Community Needs (PDF)
- Bridging the Gaps in the HHS Network of Care
- NACo Stepping Up: A National Initiative to Reduce the Number of People with Mental Illnesses in Jails
- NACo research brief: Addressing Mental Illness and Medical Conditions in County Jails (September 2015)
- For consumers: NC MH/DD/SAS Crisis Services | Crisis Solutions NC Directory of Resources
- N.C. DHHS Division of Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities and Substance Abuse Services: Resources for LMEs and Governments
- LMEs/MCOs and their member counties and LME team liaisons
- 2014 NC Child Death Data, presentation by Child Fatality Task Force (Oct. 19, 2015)
- SAMHSA Comprehensive Community Mental Health Services for Children and Families 2009 Evaluation Findings (PDF)
- Psychological Distress: Chronic Disease and Health Risk Factors (June 2015)
- N.C. Council of Community MH/DD/SA Programs
- Mental health screening tools from Mental Health America
- Learn Psychology Guidebook: Suicide and Depression Awareness for Students
- Home remodeling and modifications for people with special needs
- Expertise resources on home remodeling for disability and special needs
- Mental Health First Aid resources and papers:
- History of CCNC: Evolution of Community Care of NC
- Annual Mental Health Breakfast Assembles Advocates, Service Providers and Elected Officials (NC Health News, Jan. 27, 2015)
- NAMI State Mental Health Legislation 2014: Trends, Themes and Effective Practices (December 2014)
Statutes and select legislation
- N.C.G.S. 122C
- S.L. 2013-85 (S208): Effective Operation of 1915(b)/(c) Waiver
- S.L. 2013-378 (H399): Amend Laws Pertaining to DHHS
- NCACC legislative goals related to mental health reform (2013 session update - scroll down to Health and Human Services)
- County advisory board established for LME/MCOs (2013 session update - scroll down to S208 summary)
- S.L. 2012-151 (S191): LME Governance
- S.L. 2011-264 (H916): Statewide Expansion of 1915(b)/(c) Waiver
Diverting low-level, nonviolent offenders into treatment saves millions of dollars and makes our streets safer. Additional Info...
Across the country, a critical shortage of state psychiatric beds is forcing mentally ill patients with severe symptoms to be held in emergency rooms, hospitals and jails while they wait for a bed, sometimes for weeks. Additional Info...
A new comprehensive health care center will provide 24-hour mental health and addiction urgent care, outpatient behavioral health treatment and beds for people in crisis. Additional Info...
A shift in thinking on mental health led to a dramatic drop in youth incarcerations. Additional Info...
New Hanover County will expand its options for substance abuse treatment by funding a new treatment center that's designed to keep addicts from going to jail or to the emergency room. Additional Info...
Governor’s task force readies recommendations for this year’s legislative session; recommendations made on children, adults, mental health, drug abuse Read on...