The NCACC Workers Compensation Pool currently has 92 members (57 counties and 35 county entities). Created by counties to meet their specific needs, the Pool’s objective, is to help counties jointly manage their risk and prevent future insurance market changes from creating havoc on county budgets. The pool not only provides coverages for county members but also helps its members gain control of their losses.
With the oversight of the association staff, service partner Sedgwick Claims Management Services Inc. (SCMS) administers the pool’s claims so members can receive prompt and responsive claims administration. The association staff and SCMS manage the day-to-day operations.
Under the NCACC Workers Compensation Pool:
- A variety of options are available, including standard, large deductible and ASO (Administrative Services Only) products.
- Members choosing a large deductible or ASO product are provided with an annual actuarial review of their losses at no charge.
- Nurses specializing in occupational injuries assist injured workers in understanding their medical treatment.
- Criminal justice services emphasize policies and procedures to assist in managing the risk of injury to employees associated with law enforcement activities, including detention centers.
- Members are visited on-site to conduct comprehensive reviews of safety programs, accidents and loss trends. We also review employee relations and communications and departmental organizations to look for areas that can be improved.
- Payroll audits are conducted annually at no cost to the member.
- Members are assisted in developing return-to-work programs to help get employees back on the job while accommodating those restrictions outlined by their treating physicians.
- Minimal safety standard programs assist members to develop programs that impact the frequency of claims and provide a safer working environment.
- Benefits are provided in accordance with North Carolina statutes under the jurisdiction of the NC Industrial Commission.
- Claims legal defense is provided through major law firms with extensive experience in workers’ compensation and county-specific issues.